I just do not understand police in America

Users who are viewing this thread

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
And keeping your hands on the wheel if you get pulled over or you might get shot, is equally ridiculous.

I'm just gonna get out of the car if I am ever pulled over.

I've seriously never had an issue, and I've been pulled over alot. I seriously mean alot. Been searched better than 30 times too in my past , though never arrested for anything.

The only time a cop got squirrely on me was due to my cell phone. It was an early flip and rotate model that had a camera on a swivel. The cop could only see the end of the camera and it was silver, for a second he thought it was the barrel release on a pistol.

By the way, I'm at work tonight. My office is right on the edge of a not so nice part of town. Came to work packing, just not an option in the UK and I'm glad I have the right.

Cheap and effective:
P89.jpg

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
OK, can I just give him the bird from the driver's seat then?

Slowly.

Is that a water pistol Mr Orange?

In England we prefer to use knives. It's more personal.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Water pistols do nothing to the bad guys Ian, except get them wet. With anyone that I would have to use deadly force against I'd prefer to keep them at least a few feet away.

You could just give a cop the finger, that is your right but you might not like the consequences.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
In England we prefer to use knives. It's more personal.

"Just like an Englishman to bring a knife to a gun fight"

A lawyer runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a Sheriffs Deputy. He thinks that he is smarter than the Deputy because he is sure that he has a better education. He decides to prove this to himself and have some fun at the deputies expense.

Deputy says, “License and registration, please.â€

Lawyer says, “What for?â€

Deputy says, “You didn’t come to a complete stop at the stop signâ€

Lawyer says, “I slowed down, and no one was coming.â€

Deputy says, “You still didn’t come to a complete stop. License and registration, please.â€

Lawyer says, “What’s the difference?â€

Deputy says, “The difference is you have to come to a complete stop, that’s the law. License and registration, please!â€

Lawyer says, “If you can show me the legal difference between slow down and stop, I’ll give you my license and registration and you give me the ticket, if not you let me go and no ticket.â€

Deputy says, “Exit your vehicle, sir.â€

At this point, the deputy takes out his nightstick and starts beating the ever-loving snot out of the lawyer and says €œDo you want me to stop or just slow down?â€

Peanut9199

Reaction score
I'm still wondering about those kilts.

I like a story i heard on TV from Mel Gibson while filming Braveheart.

He was sitting around a campfire with some of the Scottish extras and he turned to one of the guys and said "What do you wear under your kilt" and the guy said "Your wife's lipstick" haha

"WHAT DO YOU WEAR UNDER YOUR KILT?"

How badly do you want to know?
How warm are your hands?
Me mother once told me a real lady wouldn't ask. She was right, God bless 'er.
My Scottish pride.
On a good day, lipstick.
Play your cards right and you can find out.
Tell me madam , would you go jogging without a bra? If so, where do you jog and when?
Sorry, I'm a bit shy and not much good with words. Give me your hand...
Talcum powder

"WHAT'S UNDER YOUR KILT?"

A wee set of pipes.
Bagpipes, wanna give 'em a blow?
It's the smallest airport in the world.....2 hangars and a night fighter.
My shoes and socks.
String -- I had to tie it up so it didn’t hang below the kilt.
What God graced me with.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score

Getting out of the car, depending on the circumstances, is the quickest way to get a gun pulled on you...

And I don't know about you but I don't want the possibility of an AD to happen when a gun is pointed at me especially if there is no reason...

Just wait for them to approach and contact you before you do anything...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
As far as knives go I know a profesional knife fighter that if a gun was not pointed at him and he was within 5 feet of the gun holder could have him disabled before he could blink...but he is the exception...most people haven't the faintest idea how to use a knife corectly...

Peanut9199

Reaction score
As far as knives go I know a profesional knife fighter that if a gun was not pointed at him and he was within 5 feet of the gun holder could have him disabled before he could blink...but he is the exception...most people haven't the faintest idea how to use a knife corectly...

Reminds me of James Coburn in the "The Magnificent Seven"

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
"In the Gravest Extreme" had a section on people who are good with knives.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score

Most English youths do.

Interesting profession being a professional knifefighter.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
He is responsible for training police and he teaches them what someone with a knife and knows how to use it can do to help them be prepaired...

That is why he is a professional...he was my instructor when I took my firearms concealed carry course...

Last edited:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Wow. What a lively debate. I have learnt a lot.

Having read through your posts, some things surprise me about cops in the US and some don't.

Pulling people over for the slightest of reasons to check them out has always been a trick of all police. So I get that one. I was pulled over all the time as a kid. And once I was wearing a kilt!

But what shocks me a little more is that police here do seem to get away with being more violent. Elsewhere, if a shot gets fired or a fist thrown, then there is an enquiry. Here, the cop's word seems to be taken as golden. Many of my neighbors have warned me not to get cheeky with the police otherwise they will beat me. That just does not seem right.

And keeping your hands on the wheel if you get pulled over or you might get shot, is equally ridiculous.

I have grown up with Police as neighbors & friends
Never get out of the car, keep your hands on the wheel
They may have pulled you over because a bad guy is driving a car like yours
That happened to me, had a long talk with the officer as I was restoring a '66 Mustang & he was restoring one too
Friends saw me pulled over & wanted to know what I did
I've always been polite when pulled over...usually just a warning
My friend was a jerk most times....and received tickets....his insurance was very high

Went out with an English girl & her friends in the car behind us were pulled over
So I pulled over as they were following us,she jumped out of the car to go back & see what was going on
Officer had a fit & told her to get back in the car....luckily we were all sober

That was actually a given when going out with the English girls - one was always the designated driver & sober

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'm still getting out. This is the land of the free. And I like some fresh air when talking to an officer.

Peanut9199

Reaction score
Nothing is ever free, we pay a price for everything.

True here's your fresh air

By the mid- to late-1990s, regulatory economists estimated that the Clean Air Act was costing Americans on the order of 1 to 2 percent of GDP per year—about $1,000 to $2,000 per household. The incremental costs of attaining the tougher ozone and PM2.5 standards that the EPA has adopted since then will likely add an additional $1,000 or so a year to the average household’s outlay, but will provide little or no incremental health benefit in return.

Peanut9199

Reaction score
That's funny

You ain't got a licence.

I guess he ain't got any education.

Yes i bid on it, but i didn't have a contract.

That's what i do in my spare time i quote on jobs but i don't really want to do the jobs.

I can't believe Al Pacino went from acting to bidding on jobs without a licence.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
True here's your fresh air

By the mid- to late-1990s, regulatory economists estimated that the Clean Air Act was costing Americans on the order of 1 to 2 percent of GDP per year—about $1,000 to $2,000 per household. The incremental costs of attaining the tougher ozone and PM2.5 standards that the EPA has adopted since then will likely add an additional $1,000 or so a year to the average household’s outlay, but will provide little or no incremental health benefit in return.

I've seen estimates ranging from 20 billion a year, to more than 100 billion a year, as the supposed cost of the CAA. Hard to quantify that sort of thing...

Equally hard to quantify: wonder how much money it's saved us in medical bills, days off work due to respiratory illness, and so on? Also things like less maintenance on the exterior of your house, monuments, machinery, etc.

The EPA reckons we saved $45 for every $1 it cost to comply to the CAA. That's probably an over-estimate (they're not exactly likely to be neutral on this issue), but it's just common sense that it must have saved us something. I don't know where your quote is from, but I'd distrust any source that completely ignores the question.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks