HWT problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Tekmar1

Reaction score
40 gallon Bradford white natural gas HWT has a bunch of white powder like substance all around burner.What is this stuff ? and what causes this?

The tank is 6 years old and the main burner on start up shoots flames out the front.Should I replace this tank?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

You should probably clean the flue inside the heater and out through the roof, then check to make sure it has proper drafting when it is burning.

Tekmar1

Reaction score
I did check the chimney and it is all clear.I have had a HWT before that was 12 years old before it busted,and never had a problem.

I am worried that if I replace the HWT this problem will happen again,because I am not sure what caused it.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to check the flue as it is going through the tank and up to where it connects to the chimney, all of it.

Dead Birds being stuck in there is a common problem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wh

The white powder may be an acculation of ash that has been burned. If flames come out of the door on the heater when it lights, that usually means the flue is not working.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks