HW tank as a Contact tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
I do HVAC and Plumbing. My neighbor called and asked for if we had a new HW tank that was bad (b/c of COVID we haven’t been sending them back just scrapping them). I asked why and he said to replace his chemical contact tank... Is this something people actually do? I thought contact tanks had baffles in them but he said not all do.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The inside of a contact tank is a corrosive environment so I would not expect a bad HWT to last very long. For that reason, most contact tanks are composite plastic/fiberglass.

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
The inside of a contact tank is a corrosive environment so I would not expect a bad HWT to last very long. For that reason, most contact tanks are composite plastic/fiberglass.

some of the bad ones are from a short that burnt up electronics or plugged heat exchanger and the like but it costs to much to repair vs a new unit; the tank itself may still intact and useable. I’ll let him know it might not hold up to it but he will probably use a HW tank anyways. He needed a 30 gal b/c of size restrictions but all we have are 40-50.