how to level an EXISTING cast iron tub

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bbillcee, Jan 9, 2011.

1. bbillcee

bbillcee New Member

we have gutted the bathroom ( we are having the tub reglazed) and the ledger board that the cast iron tub rests on seems to be rotted out, i dont want to remove the tub because a mud job was put in after the tub and dont wanna mess it up

the wall side of the tub has dropped about 3/4 of an inch

i was kinda of thinking to lift that side of the tub a bit and wedging wood between the tub and the studs to keep it level....just want to know if u guys know a easier solution, i dunno if my idea would even work
  2. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

For your tub to drop like that, you would have to have some serious rot going on there...and shimming the tub is a bandaid fix. A cast iron tub is a heavy beast and you need to support it properly.
  3. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

I have to agree with "basement_Lurker" a lot of those cast iron tube should be supported by a ledger board AND wedges under the feet built in on the bottom of the tub, you may have major rot under the tub
  4. bbillcee

bbillcee New Member

who usually installs the tub? the plumber or carpenter?
  5. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Most of the time it is the plumber
  6. asktom

asktom Member

If you are pulling the tub you are better off putting in a new cast iron tub than reglazing what you have, the finish is much better and last a heck of a lot longer. It sounds like your project is growing on you and the new tub may seem like another ratchet up in size, but what you don't want to do is get done and not have the finish last.
  7. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I sounds like you will have to do a lot more than you were planning on. You have a rot problem and unless you demo enough of the wall and floor to be sure all the rot is removed, you will continue to have problems. It isn't a matter of what you want to do, it's what you have to do.