How to get rid of crab grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Care/Landscaping' started by coopns, Aug 7, 2009.

1. coopns

coopns New Member

I have quite a bit of crab grass. I saw one product that I could hook up to the hose, any recommendations?

Thanks.
  2. Cygarbuff

Cygarbuff New Member

what state are you in? Crabgrass is an annual and will die at first frost. If you can't wait buy a product called "drive". It will kill the crabgrass and broadleaf weeds without harming the grass. Before the crabgrass dies each year around fall time when your crab grass starts to have a tint of purple to it that is the seeds from the crabgrass working it's way to the top of the grass blade and ready to drop into your soil for germination next spring. The cycle starts all over again. Cut your grass a little shorter when you see it turning slightly purple and bag those clippings (crabgrass seeds) and dump them. If you muclh you will just be adding them back into the soil. I would recommend aerate and overseed this fall as well so when the crabgrass dies you will fill those voids with new fresh grass. Good luck
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Crabgrass can be controlled in the spring with a product that will prevent seeds from germinating. Problem with this is it will prevent ALL seeds from germinating, but it does work. You can also kill it as previously described in the fall. A combination of both fall and spring control would likely be the ideal.