Sink Basket, How to fix leaking sink pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo_jones

Reaction score
New to forum and plumbing. Would like to know what you guys would do with this situation. Essentially my sink is leaking from the bottom. Sort of coalescing droplets, shown in first image. How is this fixed? Never done much plumbing work, seems like it should be fairly simple but just don't know where to start or what should be done.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20160527_114903.jpg
    20160527_114903.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 174
  • 20160527_114607.jpg
    20160527_114607.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 167

Flapper

Reaction score
Remove it and reseal it...
The drain can be removed by unscrewing that locknut; you'll also need to disconnect the pipe. Then you can clean it and reseal it with new putty.
Just what I think; I'm not a professional.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
As mentioned above: remove this old strain basket and install a new one. Don't pick ABS basket, go with metal basket.

If you can find a metal basket with 3 quick screws, use it. It would be easier to install than a basket with a large nut.

Flapper

Reaction score
I don't see why you need to replace the basket, just replace the seals. The basket looks perfectly fine.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't see why you need to replace the basket, just replace the seals. The basket looks perfectly fine.

Look harder.

This strainer is corroded and busted.

Besides, it would take you 1, maybe 2 hours to find a gasket that fits...do you value your time?

A new basket with 3 butterfly screws costs less than $5.

Flapper

Reaction score
Look harder.

This strainer is corroded and busted.

Besides, it would take you 1, maybe 2 hours to find a gasket that fits...do you value your time?

A new basket with 3 butterfly screws costs less than $5.
How do you know it is corroded and busted? It is hard to tell in the picture. The OP would know, so if it is actually broken, then replace it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If I remove a basket, it gets replaced. Often the metal starts to fatigue over time, even breaking at the threads. The time spent is worth more than the savings of going with an old basket that needs new seals.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks