How to figure cost of pumping one gallon of water

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by ballvalve, Aug 20, 2012.

1. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

We share a well. The primary guy pays the electric bill and we meter my renters water at that house by the gallon. Its been zero for years as I have another well on the rental land that recently started pumping nasty clay, and finally the pump inlet [I am guessing] is clogged.

I originally drilled the well and built his house, so I know its 220' deep and makes endless water of bottled quality. 1 HP pump, unknown standing water level.

Would several fills of a 5 gallon bucket with a stopwatch and ammeter clamped on the feed wires give enough numbers to juggle and then divide into the KW cost?

How would YOU do it?
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

At 10 cents per KW, a 1 HP will burn 10 cents per hour, $2.40 per 24 hour day. At 10 GPM that would be 17 cents per thousand gallons.
  3. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Bet that makes the guy in the city wish he had a well.