How to extend a CO?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by DavidTu, Jan 30, 2011.

1. DavidTu

DavidTu Member

I have a 45-deg Wye with a CO glued on at bottom of a drop.... problem is a new wall was added behind CO that makes access difficult. What I want to do now is extend the CO back to the face of the wall so access will be from other side of the wall. Can I do this simply by screwing in a male threaded adapter into the CO and gluing pipe and new CO onto that?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If that will do what you want, the yes, assuming it is NOT a 3 1/2" cast iron cleanout.
  3. dugfresh

dugfresh New Member

You will want to make sure that you use long turn radius fittings for any extension. Make sure also that the clean out at your final finished wall isn't tighter than the one that is buried.
  4. DavidTu

DavidTu Member

No, but I do have another 3.5" CI CO elsewhere... I thought my building sewer CI pipe was 3" ... but I measured the floor CO to 3.5" as you suggest... does that mean my building sewer is really 3.5" or 4" or what? I sized my vents assuming it was 3"! Am I in trouble?!?
  5. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Your building sewer can be either 3or 4in., the c.o.s were made in off breed sizes to stop people from attaching pipe to them