How to choose a battery back up sump pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Lenn, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Lenn

Lenn New Member

I would like to install a good quality battery back up sump pump. The existing sump pump is ½ hp sewage pump connected to a schedule 40 pipe. I have yet to find a battery back up sump pump that has a tee fitting for a schedule 40 pipe. So have resigned myself to just get a good battery back up sump pump and connect it in to the existing schedule 40 line if possible or just run a second line.

Basically what is a good quality reliable manufacture of back up pumps and what features are needed insure it will work when needed???
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  3. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

"I have yet to find a battery back up sump pump that has a tee fitting for a schedule 40 pipe."

Put a tee in your existing pipe. The arrangement should be as follows:
    Existing pump -> check valve -> tee -> existing pipe to discharge
    Backup pump -> check valve -> into side of tee in existing discharge pipe

Many battery pumps have lower head capability that AC powered pumps, so be sure you get the head you neet to put the water over the wall.

Go to www.grainger.com and search on glentronics