How tall is a Goulds 13GS20 submersible pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

MusicinaBottle

Reaction score
Looking at buying a Goulds 13GS20 submersible well pump. Trying to get more info on diminsions on it but finding nothing. Anyone know how tall the pump would be with the Franklin motor? I can get it for $150. Good deal or no?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Here you go.

Attachments

• goulds.jpg
    goulds.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 335

MusicinaBottle

Reaction score
So it's safe to assume that this unit is in excess of 30 inches then? Anything I should be looking at in terms of the pumps health?:D

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Yes, according to the chart, it is longer than 30 inches.

You can check the motor with an ohmmeter but as for wear on the wet end, you'd pretty much have to pump some water. Does it come with the motor control box?

MusicinaBottle

Reaction score
Yes, according to the chart, it is longer than 30 inches.

You can check the motor with an ohmmeter but as for wear on the wet end, you'd pretty much have to pump some water. Does it come with the motor control box?
Yes. She works very well and I'm very pleased! This one is being shelved.

MusicinaBottle

Reaction score
I'm glad it worked out for you. Depending on the age of the unit, $150 is a steal.
Yeah, I'm sure having trouble getting the pipe adapter out of the body of the pump. Worried that it might be crossthreaded. The pump is not really that old says the previous owner. They bought it in 2000. Oops. Guess that's old! Trying to soak that fitting in WD 40 for the night. I put the 3/4 in drive socket on there but the whole pump turns. I have an 8 inch pipe vice, but am afraid of damaging something. Hmmm.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't get the bit of the whole pump turning. Does not the top of of it have wrench flats? If you are trying to disassemble the pump, it is a left hand thread.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
You cannot buy a used pump without full ohmmeter tests, tests under pressure in a barrel of water, and amp draw tests.

I'll sell you several 2000 pumps for 65$ The scrap yard will give you 14 cents a pound.

MusicinaBottle

Reaction score
I don't get the bit of the whole pump turning. Does not the top of of it have wrench flats? If you are trying to disassemble the pump, it is a left hand thread.
I have sockets up to 3 inches but no wrenches large enough for the flats on the pump itself. I put the whole pump in my pipe vice, but it just wants to turn. I have pipe clamps but they extend out over the pipe insert. I do have a pipe wrench somewhere though!

MusicinaBottle

Reaction score
You cannot buy a used pump without full ohmmeter tests, tests under pressure in a barrel of water, and amp draw tests.

I'll sell you several 2000 pumps for 65$ The scrap yard will give you 14 cents a pound.
Typed that in the dark. It was supposed to say 2009. Ooops!

MusicinaBottle

Reaction score
Put the pipe wrench on and my 3/4 inch breaker bar and with a bit of sweat, the adaptor threaded out. Much to my relief, the threads were clean. Very very very pleased!

MusicinaBottle

Reaction score
I noticed you all have plumbing related avatars. You can't help but stare at my boys whacky zainy eyes and ask how this Mongolian yak could possibly relate to plumbing. Well, He happens to be my pipeline of love!:D

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks