How much pressure can 2" DWV pipe take? Is it okay to use in pool plumbing?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I was thinking about adding a clean out to my Pool piping. I have in-ground pool with 2"PVC suction and return lines. The PVC line for the pool suction cleaner seems to be clogged, but there is no easy way to clean it out.

I want to add a 2" PCV "Y" fitting (where the angled side would be used for a cleanout) but the pipe made for DWV. Will that be strong enough for typical pool plumbing/pressures?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-PVC-DWV-H-x-H-x-H-Wye-C4810HD2/100677986

EDIT: I just noticed that DWV piping is rated for max pressure of 5psi, and my pool pump gets up to 20psi on the return side. However this fitting would be on the suction side of the pump, if that matters.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
No you can't use that Y. But you could use a pressure T. The slip on pressure fittings is longer. As far as the pipe SCH 40 PVC will be OK as long as it's not foam core.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Thanks.
I know a sch40 "Tee" would work. It's just that it's harder to get a clean-out-tool into a pipe from a Tee (the clean-out opening would need to be the center of the Tee so the bend the tool needs to make is tight). But I'd rather use a Tee than take a chance with the wrong type of pipe.
Pool valve wY.jpg

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
That's a good idea HJ. Unfortunately really hard to do as everything is glued together.
I wish the pool plumber had thought of that.
Can a plumber's cleanout tool make the 90-degree bends? If I were to remove the top/cover of the 3-way valve, could a Plumber's Snake make the bend?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A snake will SELDOM be able to turn the corners when pressure elbows were used. The radius is too tight. The elbow is probably glued to a short threaded nipple screwed in to that fitting. If so, cut the pipe unscrew the elbow, then duplicate it with a tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks