How much packing?

Users who are viewing this thread

zman

Reaction score
How do I gauge the proper amount of packing to use on a cartridge style diverter valve?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
packing

If you are just adding to the original, then very little extra is needed. If you have removed the entire old packing then you fill the cavity and tighten the nut to compress it.

zman

Reaction score
Ok, thanks! I'll give it a try. The part (american standard) for the shower apparently never came with it. I had installed it for a friend and I may have overtightened it (because there was no packing) and warped the part. It worked fine for some time and then started acting up. So when I get the part again, I will need to wrap the shaft with quite a bit of packing then? The only trouble that I see is if I add too much it will not fully divert to the shower when it is full in.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd check with the manufacturer on their web site. They probably have instructions for that specific model. IF not, then a query direct to their help line (probably an 800 number should get it to you). There are some common themes to plumbing, and each manufacturer throws their own curves in. Generic help is just that, get specific help for your part. A pro could tell probably from looking at it. Us DIY'ers need some help once in awhile.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
packing

The travel of the diverter stem should be limited by the construction of the valve, not the amount of packing. If the packing is squeezing out and preventing the full amount of travel for the diverter stem, then there is a different problem such as a missing washer to contain the packing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks