How far can a 1/2 H pump push water?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rick.a, Jan 24, 2007.

1. rick.a

rick.a New Member

I have a shallow well (down pipe is 15 ft) with a 1/2 horse Gould jet pump. Connection at the house is about 150 horizontal feet and at least 30 vertical feet away. I don't know what pressure this system would produce since I just bought the place and it was a mess, including a frozen pipes. I have been fixing it since. It will be used in summer only. I am moving the pressure tank and switch to the house from the pump. Down pipe is 1 1/4" poly and up to the house is is smaller, more like 1" poly.

Do you think that I will have sufficient pressure from this setup? I would like to keep the pump. It is only 2 years old. (unless they lied about that too)

Rick
  2. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

It will push more than 150 ft. The issue is, what is the flow rate? There will be about 5 psi pressure drop in 150 ft of 1" pipe at 10 GPM.

As the pressure increases, the flow will drop off and the pressure drop will become insignificant.

If the house is a lot HIGHER than the pump, then it matters more. But it is still better for producing stable pressure in the house if the tank is in the house. It is important that the pressure switch be at the tank.