how does contamination occur?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by rbig, Apr 10, 2011.

1. rbig

rbig New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    We just a place out on a river. Our well is 600'. The guys around us casually say "well, if the river floods ( a foot or so occasionally), call the well people and they'll come out and treat.

From reading a lot, I see it's probably bleach that's used.

What I don't understand is how/why the wells get contaminated.

Ours is nicely sealed on top, and has plumbing that keeps water in and other things out. If we have a foot or so of water on top, how does this contaminate the well???? Does it flow down on outside of the casing?

I know nothing about wells, and am just curious what's going on, and why.
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Jan 5, 2008
    Test, Don't Guess!
    Land of Cheese
    Anytime there are openings for pipes or wires to go into the well casing, there is the potential for contamination. In the flood-prone areas the top of the well casing should be extended to a level higher than the likelyhood of floodwaters.

On some low-laying properties near the river here, the tops of the well casings are 6-8 feet above grade.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

Feb 9, 2010
    Owner of a Water Well and Pump Repair Business
    SE Texas-Coastal
    If it's a 4" well it's vented....only 2" wells and such with packer jets are under pressure and won't be affected when they become submerged.