how does contamination occur?

Users who are viewing this thread

rbig

Reaction score
We just a place out on a river. Our well is 600'. The guys around us casually say "well, if the river floods ( a foot or so occasionally), call the well people and they'll come out and treat.

From reading a lot, I see it's probably bleach that's used.

What I don't understand is how/why the wells get contaminated.

Ours is nicely sealed on top, and has plumbing that keeps water in and other things out. If we have a foot or so of water on top, how does this contaminate the well???? Does it flow down on outside of the casing?

I know nothing about wells, and am just curious what's going on, and why.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Anytime there are openings for pipes or wires to go into the well casing, there is the potential for contamination. In the flood-prone areas the top of the well casing should be extended to a level higher than the likelyhood of floodwaters.

On some low-laying properties near the river here, the tops of the well casings are 6-8 feet above grade.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it's a 4" well it's vented....only 2" wells and such with packer jets are under pressure and won't be affected when they become submerged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks