How do you know when your PLUMBER is the Best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hotwater2day

Reaction score
Hello

Any idea on how to know if we hire a good plumber? We got to hire someone who knows repair maintenance and hot water system installation. Any suggestions and recommendations are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Ask to see their master plumbers license and certificate of insurance as the people who issued the license should have already had the plumber tested prior to issuing any type of certification

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Hi,
You should check his experience in the specific service field. His experience has a role in deciding whether he is a perfect plumber.

When I was an apprentice I made sure I quit each company I worked for within a year

Reason being I did a Hospital including the installation of an autopsy table and ran the Oxygen lines to the rooms

I also installed acid and chemical waste systems using Duriron and Pyrex

I did high rise office and residential buildings 47 stories and a fire suppression system on the 86th floor of the empire state building

New construction plumbing -fire suppression boiler installations commercial, industrial , residential and institutional along with repair and alterations

My licenses state "Master plumber" with no restrictions of the type of "plumbing" I can do

Steam fitting, gas fitting, al;l types of drainage and sewer installations or repair or maintenance

A person is either master plumber or class A Journeyman with a well rounded education as one call should do it all

Water Jetting ,rodding, video inspections , Expert witness for law firms ALL are what a plumbers can do if they take the profession seriously and want to make a great living

Attachments

• deplomas.jpg
    deplomas.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Boiler.jpg
    Boiler.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_E0153.JPG
    IMG_E0153.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 64

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes you can't tell until the job is done. Most bad plumbers do sloppy work which means they don't take pride in their work which means they are there because plumbers can make good money and they figured they needed to do something for a living and it might as well be plumbing. There is no good way to tell if you have a good plumber or not. A state license, any certications on top of a state license, and years as a journeyman are all questions I would ask. This would give you a pretty good idea of what you are working with, but ultimately pride in one's work isn't measured by anything someone can see.

Ask them if they have any pictures of their installations. That could mean they take pride.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a client ask me if I were the Best plumber in the Seattle area. I told him that in all likelyhood I wasn't the Best plumber, that others maybe knew the code better than I do and could work faster or more efficiently or had better skills. But that I have had repeat customers for decades.

Apparently he had hired the Best welder in the area who had welded a hitch on his truck... that fell off with the trailer on the freeway.

I typically get referrals from people I know and trust when hiring other contractors like electricians or drywallers etc.

And just because someone has a license doesn't mean they're any good at their jobs. I had an apprentice that the day he got his license started his own plumbing business.. He would always be asking for advice on how to do stuff. I told him he was on his own at that point.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've never met an "average" plumber. If you ask any of us, we're the best, no matter what you see us doing.
I always thought it would be funny to have a company named, Cheap and Sleazy Plumbing.
Nobody has used that name yet. The are lot's of "Best", Quality", "Number 1", "Premier", "Doctor" companies out there.

Nobody is claiming to be average though. I guess I use the word LOVE, which is my last name. And I will say that I also love to plumb.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
My brother went to work for Best plumbing... then went to Good Services... I told him his next move would be Okeh Mechanical

Found this pencil the other day... Could be a plumber?
Moe the Sleeze.jpg