How do remove these taps to replace a valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by ac124, Nov 7, 2008.

  1. ac124

    ac124 New Member

    Nov 7, 2008
    First time poster with what I'm sure is a simple problem.
    Having trouble working out how these taps come off so I can replace the valve seal.
    I have removed the small threaded brass spindle that seems to spread the split plastic collet when its in place. I assumed once this was out I would be able to pull the tap handle off the stem but there seems to be a lot of resistance still and I am worried about applying force or leverage until I know if this all that is required or if there is something else to remove/loosen first.
    Dont know the brand of fitting but it is likely Australian and about 15 years old. Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

    cheers Greg

  2. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Probably you just need a handle puller now.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    Wrap them with tape, then use a large pair of pliers to pull them off. Or try prying them off using a screwdriver against the faucet body.
  5. Herk

    Herk Plumber

    Oct 28, 2007
    S.E. Idaho
    Looks to me like you need to squeeze the plastic tabs together while you gently pull. Forcing it will break the tabs.
Similar Threads: remove taps
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Best way to remove this faucet drain? Monday at 9:32 AM
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Installing new shower rough-in. Remove more drywall? Feb 15, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Pressure reducing valve is leaking... can i maybe just remove it? Feb 13, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Remove/replace/extend closet ring Feb 9, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice How to remove stubborn tank bolt? Nov 26, 2016

Share This Page