How do remove these taps to replace a valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ac124, Nov 7, 2008.

1. ac124

ac124 New Member

Hi,
    First time poster with what I'm sure is a simple problem.
    Having trouble working out how these taps come off so I can replace the valve seal.
    I have removed the small threaded brass spindle that seems to spread the split plastic collet when its in place. I assumed once this was out I would be able to pull the tap handle off the stem but there seems to be a lot of resistance still and I am worried about applying force or leverage until I know if this all that is required or if there is something else to remove/loosen first.
    Dont know the brand of fitting but it is likely Australian and about 15 years old. Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

cheers Greg

[​IMG]
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Probably you just need a handle puller now.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

handles

Wrap them with tape, then use a large pair of pliers to pull them off. Or try prying them off using a screwdriver against the faucet body.
  4. Herk

Herk Plumber

Looks to me like you need to squeeze the plastic tabs together while you gently pull. Forcing it will break the tabs.