How to remove valve stem and identification

Users who are viewing this thread

babx142

Reaction score
How do I get to this stem? This is a 1960 house. The escutcheons seem to be glued in onto the valve. I cannot get them to move...no amount of twisting or turning has worked, even after PB blaster overnight. Any idea on how to get to the piece in the back to remove stem? The wrench that I believe will work is too large to fit in the pipe. At a loss here, but hoping someone familiar with this type can help. Or give suggestions before I rip the wall out. Anyone able to tell brand by handle?
received_331259993108953.jpeg
20231116_232723.jpg
20231116_180431.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The sleeves distort and bind when you try to remove them with pliers. Insert a snug fitting socket into the sleeve to support the sleeve then you can unscrew it and get to the stem's hex to remove it.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
my only concern is if Im trying to re use the old escutcheon tube . those come off with out too much fuss

babx142

Reaction score
my only concern is if Im trying to re use the old escutcheon tube . those come off with out too much fuss
If I didn't care about reusing them, is there any reason I couldn't cut them off even with the wall and use new one piece escutcheons to replace that include the covers? That's basically where I'm at now. These tubes will not budge.

babx142

Reaction score
Just came to say thank you for the tips! I was able to finally get them off....they do screw off!....and got everything replaced. Just waiting on the city to turn my water back on. Hoping for no leaks now. Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks