Hot Water from cold side

Users who are viewing this thread

jmcscrap

Reaction score
Hello - We just started having an issue where we are getting warm water from our cold water faucets. When the washing machine is set to cold, warm water fills the tank. If I turn the hot water off to the machine, the water is cold as normal. I would guess the mixer valve is bad, but this is only part of the issue.

Now when we turn on the cold water in a sink (any sink) the water is luke warm. When we turn on hot water we get HOT (scalding) water. I turned the thermostat down on the hot water heater and that seemed to help the scalding hot water issue, but we are still getting luke warm water out of the cold water side.

To add one more thing - a faucet was just put in the kitchen sink. Is there a chance that if it was installed backwards (cold water supply to hot water and vice versa) on a single handle faucet this could cause the issue?

Thank you very much with any help or insight!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a hot water recirculation system? I presume no.

We just started having an issue where we are getting warm water from our cold water faucets. When the washing machine is set to cold, warm water fills the tank. If I turn the hot water off to the machine, the water is cold as normal. I would guess the mixer valve is bad, but this is only part of the issue.

There is your clue. I am not clear if turning off the hot supply to the washing machine solves all of your problems or just for the washing machine (WM), but it shows there is a problem with the washing machine in either case. Right?

jmcscrap

Reaction score
Do you have a hot water recirculation system? I presume no.

There is your clue. I am not clear if turning off the hot supply to the washing machine solves all of your problems or just for the washing machine (WM), but it shows there is a problem with the washing machine in either case. Right?

I do not have a re-circulation system. Would a bad mixer valve in the WM cause the issue for the whole house? Small 1 bath, kitchen sink and a wash machine are the only things hooked up to hot water.

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do not have a re-circulation system. Would a bad mixer valve in the WM cause the issue for the whole house? Small 1 bath, kitchen sink and a wash machine are the only things hooked up to hot water.
Just shut the valves to the washer off then go run your sinks. That will tell you right away. But if it just happend after you had a new faucet installed... then you may have an issue there to

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks