Hot Showers - Getting the temperature just right, Top Five Tips from the pros

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score

spat015b.jpg

I think we have come a long way in plumbing fixture design so that we can no longer get scalded when someone flushes the toilet. Brothers can no longer tease their sisters and play these funny practical jokes. The picture above is a fun one I found on a blog spot post by Leo Matsuda. Made me think what is too hot. How to check. What to check for and what can go wrong.

I while back we did a job that suffered from cross over in the water lines. With new fixtures in place the water temperature was crazy hot. I made a mental note to warn people when we take out old fixtures. What other pointers are good ones?

What are the best tips for getting your hot water just right?

DEEP THOUGHTS on Hot Showers....

funny-picture-taking-hot-shower.png

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What are the best tips for getting your hot water just right?

Set the water heater thermostat properly and adjust the valves handles to the temperature you want. with a thermostatic valve you can dial the temperature, with a "two handle" like the Delta 1700 series you can set the temperature and then turn the water on and off independently.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Using a Thermometer to measure water temperature

HJ. On three occasions I have seen plumbers running the water and using a hand held thermometer. In the stream while adjusting the little dabs on the rough in bits. Do you have one of these? Is any brand better than others for this task?

My guy had something like this Fishing Thermometer... I hope Jim does not read this because clearly the Thermometer is meant for fishing and checking the temperature of fish or fish water or lake water.

73P7.jpg

tempnowater3.jpg

i-m-about-to-take-a-hot-shower-that-s-like-a-normal-shower-but-with-me-in-it-354.png

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Setting the Temperature Digitally

spat015a.jpg

I wonder if these new digital high end fixtures actually read the water temperature and self adjust?

MikeQ

Reaction score
HJ. On three occasions I have seen plumbers running the water and using a hand held thermometer. In the stream while adjusting the little dabs on the rough in bits. Do you have one of these? Is any brand better than others for this task?

This is the best thermometer I've ever had.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop...+Thermometer&gclid=COys-pSWnb4CFQmDfgodtk0ACg

It will go from 60F to 120F in about 3 seconds and is very accurate and durable. Pricey but worth it. I've two of them (before they cost so much) and they are still going strong. I use them all the time.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Red Shower Lighting - Making Hot Showers - H O T T E R !!!!

4466ee715aa3dbd1a5eb126bda8070a1.jpg

This is my most repined photo.... What an amazing photo....

Think Steam.

Think Relaxing.

Think about spending time there with your partner ! Hell Ya.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It seems to me that if you are a pro and installing these valves frequently, it would pay to have one of the high tech thermometers. But for a DIY doing one or two at the most, it would be an unnecessary expense. When I set the temperature on my Delta 1700, I used a large measuring cup and a meat thermometer. Yeah, it was trial and error, probably took 10 or 15 minutes. Once set however, it has never needed to be adjusted. One could probably just use sense of feel without a thermometer and do just fine.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
My new shower valve was "calibrated" at the factory for 100° F, in the center position, with typical hot/cold supplies at x/y. My cold supply temp can vary pretty drastically from winter to summer, so what would be the point?

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
HJ nailed it in post 2. And i'll repeat for the folks at home. ;)

Set the water heater properly. It don't need to be 200F! Then set the valve upper limit stops or temp valve, using whatever combination of thermometer and container you have. No need for anything fancy, just set it up so no one can be scalded.

Of course, us pro's have all kinds of fancy schmancy tools. We like the infrared thermometer 'guns' for instant feedback, but have used any old thermometer in a pinch. Have fun & stay safe kids! :)

MikeQ

Reaction score
It seems to me that if you are a pro and installing these valves frequently, it would pay to have one of the high tech thermometers. But for a DIY doing one or two at the most, it would be an unnecessary expense. When I set the temperature on my Delta 1700, I used a large measuring cup and a meat thermometer. Yeah, it was trial and error, probably took 10 or 15 minutes. Once set however, it has never needed to be adjusted. One could probably just use sense of feel without a thermometer and do just fine.

I wouldn't buy an expensive thermometer just for one install but that misses the point.

An instant read thermometer is more versatile and useful than expected. I use mine to get chickens, turkeys and prime rib cooked to perfection. Because they read so fast you can poke it around a little and find the coldest spot in seconds. Far better than a typical meat thermometer.

They are quite pointed on the end but work great for taking oral body temps quickly. The SS probe is easy to sterilize before using in the kitchen.

Also very good for gardeners to measure spring soil temperatures which will let you know the perfect time to plant. You could use a slower thermometer but it would take a long time with the multiple measurements required for good results.

I also have a non-contact IR thermometer but use it for different things. I don't find it very accurate for measuring a running water stream. Too much variability depending upon distance/aim. This is where an instant read contact thermometer shines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks