Hooking Cistern back up

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by popeye5123, Nov 15, 2011.

1. popeye5123

popeye5123 New Member

We recently moved into an older log home in the mountains of Colorado, the home has a well and a 150 gal cistern in the garage but the cistern was/is not hooked up, the previous owners took it out of the loop, it has a float but the end has been cut off, now I am a "city" boy and have never been around wells or cisterns before. so my question is what/where does the cable from the float switch go to?
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

That float switch should control the pump that fills the cistern.
  3. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

The float switch was probably connected to an electronic valve and a power source. When the tank told the float switch it needed water, the float switch would open the electric valve allowing water from the well supply to top off the cistern. It's quite simple but a little hard for me to draw you a diagram here.