Honeywell zone valve wiring problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Drockalisty

Reaction score
Looking to get some advise on how to properly wire up a new honeywell zone valve. I recently had a plumber install a water baseboard heater in my garage. Problem is he didn't or the electrician didn't properly wire up the zone valve. The yellow wires run up to my taco SR501 1 zone switching relay, then run out to a thermostat on the wall. The red wires aren't being used at all. He just coiled them up. When I turn the thermostat on the boiler fires up, but the valve doesn't open. I can manually lock it open. So what am I missing? I obiviously don't want to leave the valve manually locked open all the time. Please any advise would be greatly appreciated. Heres a picture to show what I'm dealing with.

Attachments

• IMG_2810.JPG
    IMG_2810.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 211

Stuff

Reaction score
Pull the cover off of the SR501 and see where the zone valve wires connect.

Drockalisty

Reaction score
This picture isn't the best but basically what the wires are landed to are the Red and White T spots. They ran in series Red from the yellow wire to Red on the SR501, then wire nutted white from the yellow wire to red of another thermostat wire that comes from the thermostat and white from the thermostat to White on the SR501. In the picture you won't see the wire nut connecting red and white together.

Attachments

• IMG_2809.JPG
    IMG_2809.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 214

Stuff

Reaction score
That's kind of a mess. Do you know where the other two cables go? This is not a typical setup as the thermostat normally connects to TT (RW) and nothing else on those terminals. The zone valve could then connect to W and COM.

I forgot to ask an important question. Was the SR501 there before controlling another zone? If so then the thermostat red goes to R. Thermostat white gets wire-nutted to valve red. Valve white goes to COM. Then you need to extend the two red from the valve to the SR501's TT (R&W).

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks