Home water testing

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I have just installed an under the counter 3M water filter. I would like to submit my water sample to a 3rd party to get an idea of what we are dealing with. We are on city water not well.

Are there any recommended 'goto' services that we should consider using?

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you checked your local water supplier to see what testing they have published on unpublished testing?

For well owners I used to think of https://envirotestkits.com/product/safe-home-select/ It seems like a good deal, and tests the important stuff in a lab. Their price is now up to $150, so significant increase. Yet right now they are still less expensive than other testing.

With treated city water, there are lots of things you need not bother testing. Like iron and manganese. Those will be removed during the treatment process. So anyway, see what the city/water company offers. If you are testing city water (other than hardness) and lead, sounds like you want to be extra careful, willing to spend hundreds looking for pesticides, chemicals and whatnot.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I have just installed an under the counter 3M water filter. I would like to submit my water sample to a 3rd party to get an idea of what we are dealing with. We are on city water not well.

Are there any recommended 'goto' services that we should consider using?

NYC water has one of the best water supplies any place and it is constantly being tested

Unless your allergic to copper, Fluoride, small amounts of chlorine there is no reason to have it filtered

NYC Dep delivers
1.1 BILLION gallons of water a day to NYC think how many millions of people would have been dead by now if the water supply was
compromised

What you may find is the piping inside the building you live in may
compromise the water such as roof tanks located through out NYC and may not be cleaned as required by the NYC plumbing code.

There are filters that can easily remove
fluoride, rust, Chlorine and ideally the filters should be point of use.

My company does install water filters as I did for NYU for a chill water system for a
laser beam and also installed a filtration system for a very religious lady who heard about "Shrimp" in the water supply and the filters removed .0004 microns

Only one of my accounts had an allergy to copper so I installed one that removed heavy metals as she also had an old lead water main.

If filters are not
replaced in a timely manner they can be a real health risk allowing lots of unwanted bacteria to flourish

Here is a company offering free water testing https://licleanwater.com/contact/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks