Hole in tank too small for 5/16" bolt

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by marcusd, Jan 29, 2008.

1. marcusd

marcusd New Member

I'm looking for a smaller diameter brass bolt for the bowl-to-tank connection. One hole accepts the new 5/16" bolt just fine, but the other hole is too small. The old hardware is smaller diameter but its really corroded and I would like to replace it.

I can't seem to find a bolt with a large enough flat head on it to get a good seal with the rubber washer. I've tried using a stainless washer on top of the rubber washer but water get in between the bolt head and the steel washer. I could use another rubber washer in that joint, or maybe JB weld the steel interface.... Well you see where this is going.

Any advice where I can get the right size bolt?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

They come in 1/4" too, if that helps.
  3. Herk

Herk Plumber

American Standard uses flimsy little bolts if you can find some.
  4. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

Use a stainless washer over the leaky new one
  5. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

You can probably enlarge the hole slightly with a Dremel tool and a silicon carbide or diamond grinding bit. Use a bit that is too small to fill the hole so you can't wedge it in.
  6. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Any chance the hole has calcium or mineral deposits around it making it smaller? I'd try a small file or something to clean it.
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

No its a Central Am. Std. Toilet that came with those cheesy 1/4" zinc plated steel bolts....
    Hecho en Guatamala we have outsourced toilet manufacturing to a contry where most of the population doesn't have one!:mad:
  8. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Any decent hardware store will carry 1/4" brass round-head screws and nuts to match, SS washers, etc.