High Pitched Whistle In the Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

tomcobb

Reaction score
I have a very loud, high pitched whistle in my upstairs shower that seems to have gotten worse and worse lately. It's loud enough at close range to make me worry about ear damage, and it certainly wakes up others in the house -- both big problems.

Other potential clues: The whistling sound is somewhat worse at partial pressure than at full pressure. I recently replaced the shower head, but I don't think that was the cause. My current theory is that is has something to do with the shower valve, but I don't really know what would be causing it and am not sure how to fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this a shower in a tub? or a dedicated shower? If in a tub with a diverter in the tub filler spout, that is probably where the sound is coming from. Most spouts do not have replacement parts available for them - it is usually fairly easy to replace the whole thing, though.

If it is a dedicated shower valve I've heard that a loose washer can cause this. If so, then it can (usually) be repaired.

One of the pros may have some other ideas.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Had a similar problem with my own shower. I tried changing out the tub filler and that did the trick for me.

Bought a cheap ass replacement filler like this...

Purchased it at Bartle & Gibson's here on the North Shore for less than $20.00

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks