high bacteria count

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by pennsyscot, Jan 21, 2010.

1. pennsyscot

pennsyscot New Member

Just bought a new home. Well tested high for coloform bacteria. Inspection of the well pit revealed lotsa water, muck, trash and one bull frog. Water seeps through the concrete block of the well pit. The pit is well covered, so entry of debri should not be a problem in the future. Sometimes the water level is higher than the well head. I was planning to run electricity out to the well pit. Thoroughly clean well pit. Install an outlet. Break a hole in the concrete. Install a sump and pump. Remove well head. Shock with household bleach. Replace gasket. Install hose on vent to raise vent higher.
    Am I headed in the right direction?
    I don't know the depth of the well, can I add too much bleach when shocking?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks, Scot
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

If you have a cased well and the case is below ground you should have an extension put on to bring the well case above ground and a proper well cap installed.
  3. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

No, do not remove those 4 bolts. Loosen only.

If you remove them the bottom halves of the steel plates the rubber seal is in between falls down the well and can jam the j-body for a 2 line jet pump or a submersible pump from coming out.

Yes you can put a piece of PE or some such tubing on the breather fitting and extend that so water can't run into the well if the pit gets water in it high enough to go down the vent hole.

The best fix is to extend the casing 12+" above ground. And maybe adding a pitless adapter below the frost line and a submersible pump.

Don't expect shocking to get rid of a Coliform bacteria problem in an old well like this. Retest like 7-9 days after the chlorine smell is gone. That will tell you if the contamination has returned as it probably will at some point. Retest like every 6 weeks for a year and if no bacteria then every 6 months. You should also test for nitrates and nitrite.
  4. Mike Monett

Mike Monett New Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  5. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

You need to be careful suggesting your solution when health related bacteria are present as in this case. You have not tested your 'device' for the removal of Coliform bacteria or E-Coli etc. etc..

Frankly I wouldn't suggest it, use it or sell it.