Help with well at hunt camp

Users who are viewing this thread

Sbutash

Reaction score
Good Morning
I am looking for some help with identifying what I need to get water from this old well, the hand pump has been stolen. This is an old well on my hunting property that is 400 miles away from my residence. the place had been abandoned by my family until me and my brother began working to get it back so it can be used as deer camp and a base camp for family vacations. It is located in the upper peninsula of michigan. Just looking for an inexpensive way to draw water by hand or 12v power for bathing.
Any info would be great.
Thanks
Scot

Attachments

• wellinsideview.jpg
    wellinsideview.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 136
  • wellwithmeasure.jpg
    wellwithmeasure.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 130

Reach4

Reaction score
Try searching for well bucket on your favorite search engine or auction site.

Sbutash

Reaction score
Try searching for well bucket on your favorite search engine or auction site.

Can you tell what the shaft is in the picture that I attached on the left, a 6" well bucket would not fit in there with that.
Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Can you tell what the shaft is in the picture that I attached on the left, a 6" well bucket would not fit in there with that.
Thanks
At first I wondered that myself. I did not have a perspective. I even wondered the two circles might be part of the orb webs. If that thing is about 3.5 or 4 ft down and on the side of the casing, that could be a pitless adapter. Those serve as a way to get water from the well from while keeping pipes below the frost line. If that is the case, you may have 1 or 2 pipes dangling from that. Those pipes would go underground into the cabin maybe. The assembly gets lifted out by screwing in a pipe with a bar, making a T at the top, that gets screwed into the pitless.

They have buckets, with an inlet valve at the bottom, that can go into a 4 inch casing. So you might be able to get the pitless out. If the well is shallow, you might do it by hand. You could maybe fit around the pitless.

How far down is the water? You might be able to use a pump to pump the water via the pitless.

Last edited:

Sbutash

Reaction score
At first I wondered that myself. I did not have a perspective. If that thing is about 3.5 or 4 ft down, that could be a pitless adapter. They serve as a way to get water below the frost line. If that is the case, you may have 1 or 2 pipes dangling from that. Those pipes would go underground into the cabin maybe. The assembly gets lifted out by screwing in a pipe with a bar, making a T at the top, that gets screwed into the pitless.

They have buckets, with an inlet valve at the bottom, that can go into a 4 inch casing. So you might be able to get the pitless out. If the well is shallow, you might do it by hand. You could maybe fit around the pitless.

How far down is the water? You might be able to use a pump to pump the water via the pitless.

I would say you are probably right, I think it is about 3 or 4 feet down, don't think I could reach it. There was a sink in the kitchen of the cabin maybe there was another pump in there that is long gone as well. My grandfather has been gone for 8 years so I cant really ask. I will do some more research on this "pitless" that you speak of. We couldnt even find this well the first trip we made up there in the spring, the building was collapsed all around it.
Thanks

Sbutash

Reaction score
I tried to upload a picture of the pipe with what looks to be a slot in the end of it, was this maybe a vent to close the line going into the house? To drain the water out of the line so it would not freeze?

Attachments

• WELLZOOM.png
    WELLZOOM.png
    146.8 KB · Views: 149

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think that is left over from the hand pump. Probably broke off and fell back down when the perps stole the top half. You will need to lasso it and pull it out.

Sbutash

Reaction score
I think that is left over from the hand pump. Probably broke off and fell back down when the perps stole the top half. You will need to lasso it and pull it out.

I like the sound of that although I wont be able to find out for about 5 more weeks

Thanks for looking

Reach4

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-do-i-puill-this-pitless-adaptor.47684/ is a thread that has a picture of a pitless. They are not all the same.

Note that thread shows wires. Yours does not, so there would not be a submersible pump in your well. Thus I had suspected that you could have a pitless for a 1 pipe shallow well or 2 pipe jet pump. In both of those cases the pump would be in the house.

That remains-of-hand-pump makes better sense given the timeline, unless you find pipes inside.

If you have a camera that can take delayed photos, and if it has a 1/4-20 thread in it for a tripod mount, you could put a bolt into that threaded hole. Then tape your camera to a stick or pole. Lower the camera and hope you get a good pix. Putting the camera into macro mode (tulip icon) would be good if your camera can get close. Of course you will need to take care to not drop the camera down the well casing.

Sbutash

Reaction score
Ok sounds good and as for more on that timeline, this place has not been touched since the late 1970's guessing construction in the 1920's
was a farm type home before it was a deer camp after ww2