How Do I Puill This Pitless Adaptor?

Users who are viewing this thread

dox

Reaction score
How Do I Pull This Pitless Adapter?

Can anyone identify the pitless adapter pictured and advise on how to pull this?

Pitless1.jpg

Pitless2.jpg

We've attached a pull bar to the 1" threaded hole (about 6' below grade) and can't budge this thing up or down or any direction. If there is a trick to reinstalling please let me know as well.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

dox

Reaction score
Thanks for your help ValveMan.

So you think the well casing has rusted and swelled until it covers the pitless flange? That seems like a lot of swelling to me.

After taking these pictures I attached a shop vac to the pull pipe and vacuumed up the rust near where the flange should be. I still couldn't see anything resembling a flange down there. Should I use the same "shop vac approach" to try and chip away the rusted casing above the flange?

I was thinking of digging and replacing the pitless adapter. With the casing this bad is this a good idea?

More info: well is 36 years old; pump replaced 23 years ago; pump still running (only 3-4gpm for 5 minutes, after that only 50psi max, 25' to water, 75' to pump)

Last edited:

dox

Reaction score
Anyone?

Please?

I've chipped away some rust above this and still don't see a flange.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you are using a t bar, slip a length of larger pipe over it before you screw in into the pitless and then use it as a slide hammer to pound upward towards the top of the t. This will usually break it loose. Make sure you have it secured with some tension to your tripod so it doesn't fall down the well when it comes loose.

dox

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice ValveMan and Cacher_Chick,
I plan to get back to the well this weekend. Now my concern is this...

If I get the pitless adapter removed (through various chipping, slide hammering and finagling efforts) will I be able to reinstall it after replacing the pump, pipe and wiring? Or will this area of the well casing be so messed up that I won't be able to fit the male flange back over the female adapter?

Peter100

Reaction score
Hi, my well has the same type of pitless adapter as displayed in the picture. There is not rust on the adapter but I still don't see the flange. I made a 1' PVC T handler and hooked it to the adapter successfully. When I pulled the T handler by hand, the adapter just doesn't move or lose at all. I can feel that the adapter is very firm down there. My questions are:
1) What is the name of this type of pitless adapter? Is this type of adapter pull-able (if yes, why I don't see the flange?)
2) Is the PVC T handler strong enough for this pulling job? Do I need a metal T Handler ?
3) Any special trick on pulling (using T handler), any other tool needed?

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
One of the reasons for using a t-handle is to stop the whole works from falling down the hole when something goes wrong. Depending on the well, there can be over a hundred pounds of pipe and pump hanging off the pitless to be lifted. Plastic is never appropriate for lifting!

Peter100

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice from Cacher_Chick. My house is a standard 4 bedroom house and 24 years old, and the well is about 68' deep.

Here is the photo of my pitless adapter, as you can see, there is no visible flange. Maybe this is an old design and the flange is not visible from the top? Or the flange is hidden in the wall a little bit?

Looks like this type of pitless adapter is popular in Wisconsin. I would like to confirm it is pull-able before I put all my strength on it....

Thanks!

Attachments

• pitless_adapter5.JPG
    pitless_adapter5.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 3,931

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It would be common to apply a good amount of pressure to the winch line and then pound up on the t-bar to break the pitless free. The o-ring is often rock hard and the corrosion adds to the problem. 68 feet is not deep, but if it is galvanized pipe full of water with a pump hanging off the end, it still is no piece of cake.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's what we call a drill through pitless, the reciever is welded to the outside of the casing.

What you need to do is screw a steel T bar into the threaded socket and then wiggle the T bar from side to side and back n forth to get things loosened up then pull. You may find that you need to hit the T upwards with a 2lb sledge to free it.

DONT DROP THE HAMMER!

Reach4

Reaction score
Does this kind of pitless lift the arm out, or does the arm stay attached to the casing while just the round part lifts?

Peter100

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. I made a metal T-handler and got the pump out!!! Yes, it is heavy.

Reach4, for your question, the arm was lifted out.

Now I need to find out the old pump's horse-power in order to buy a new one with the same HP or higher. Searched the model number on the internet but looks like it is discontinued. Haven't been able to find the horse power of it.

Here is the information found labeled on the outside of the pump:

Sta-Rite Premium Quality Pumps
Model Number: 8SP4C02P-42
Code: 1K90K
STA-RITE A WICOR COMPANY
U33-167

STA-RITE
P27-104

I attached 2 photo of the pump.

Anyone know about this SPQ pump?

Thanks!

Attachments

• SPQ_pump1.JPG
    SPQ_pump1.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 3,211
  • SPQ_pump2.JPG
    SPQ_pump2.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 3,508

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
That pump is 25 yrs old, the best thing to do is measure the wet end so someone can figure out how may stages are in it. Either that or take it apart and count the stages.

Reach4

Reaction score
How big is your pressure tank? Based on that, figure that you want the pump to fill the drawdown in about a minute or so. How deep is the water? YOu can see the water level on the drop pipe.

How deep is the pump. The pump will not be at the bottom of the well so that it does not suck debris.

With this info you can size the pump without referencing the original pump size.

Peter100

Reaction score
The water is 25 feet below ground surface
The pump is 55 feet below ground surface
Static water level is 40 feet below ground surface
I attached a photo for the pressure tank size.

What are some suggestions for the size of the new pump ? HP? GPM? This is a two wire pump.

I am also having problems unscrewing the pump from the pipe adapter because it's so tight. Will lubrication oil help? Any advice ?

Thanks so much for the help!

Attachments

• tank1.JPG
    tank1.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 3,386

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hard to say exactly which pump you need without knowing what your water needs are but my guess is that a 1/2 HP 10 gallon a minute pump would be sufficient. Pick a professional grade pump like Gould's, grundfos, or franklin. Don't buy one from a big box store.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks