Help with Moen kitchen faucet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by George R, Feb 2, 2006.

1. George R

George R New Member

I have a Moen 7400 series kitchen faucet (I believe 7430W). Single lever style handle with attached sprayer. It is leaking at the base of the spout assembly where it meets the sink escutcheon plate. I've looked at the parts explosion on-line and it looks like I may need the "spout O-ring kit" (p/n 96778) http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/7430pt.pdf

Do i need to find any other parts to fix this leak?

Thanks, George
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Moen

Replace the o-rings.
    Clean everything and lube with ( I use silicone grease ).
    Clean the diverter.
    Clean and even sand or use a brillo pad on the inside of the spout, wipe it clean and grease the inside where it sits on the post.
    How old is that cartridge?
    Why not change the cartridge while you're there.
    Maybe replace the aerator or at least take it apart and clean it.
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  3. George R

George R New Member

Thanks P1 :) . The cartridge is 6 years old. I'll do as as you say and clean the snot out of everything (and lube). I'll try to look for parts locally tomorrrow. If I can't find them I can always order online. Thanks again.
  4. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

I don't know if it applies to Moens, but I've learned the hard way that Delta faucets do best with Delta replacement parts. The generic parts found in some hardware and big box stores just don't work as well or last as long.

5. You just described DANCO to a tee. I will not use their parts, not even brass stems. Wrap a dollar around them and give them to someone who cares.
  6. George R

George R New Member

HA!! :D Just what I like, someone that parses their words very carefully, so as not to offend anyone. NOT!!

Thanks Steve and Rugged. I'll use genuine parts.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

moen

Call 1-800-BUY-MOEN. That faucet is new enough that it should have the lifetime guarantee and Moen should send you the parts you need. Having the part numbers and faucet model will make it easier since they don't have to guess which parts you need.
  8. George R

George R New Member

Thanks HJ, I called Moen. Their customer service was very helpful. Free parts are on the way.