Help with DIY Water Softener + Chlorine System

Users who are viewing this thread

powerplyer

Reaction score
Hello long time lurker on this forum first-time poster.

Here is my issue. I currently have a Kentico Classic (quad system in my house). It has been inactive for over a year due to constant issues and being a money pit (~16 years old). I am looking to get a new system and looking for advice for a complete system. I have called a few water softener companies in the bay area however, they seem be expensive relative to how much the equipment cost vs. buying a DIY system and hiring a plumber.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish with my DIY:
Control Valve either a Fleck 7000XLT or Cleck (after much research these seem to be the best options)
Require a 64K GPG tank(s) (Family of 5 adults with 4 bathrooms)
Would like to use the best resin (read on this form about 10%)
Brine tank (Prefer Square)
Would like a system which supports KDF-55 or Carbon (preferably in separate tank or built in seperator) (Chlorine Removal)
Don't want to touch system for 10-15 years besides adding salt. (reliable systems)

If you making recommendation can you please provide links to sites. My current systems is hooked up to 1" copper fitting. BTW I have been reading the forum for the past week trying to piece together a system however, nothing to seems to be the correct fit for my application.

Thank You in advance for the help.

FYI I am on city water with a hardness of 18 gr/gal. After doing calculation, we consume about 60 gallons per person per day. I know the 64K system may be overkill, but planning for the future.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, family of 5 with 4 bathrooms. Any high flow fixtures?

I think you need to size for SFR (service flow rate) verses total hardness grain removal capacity.

Just guessing, but maybe like 16gpm?

I think that is more like a 3 cuft (96k) system.

And I agree, a Fleck 7000 or clack WS are the best valves.

powerplyer

Reaction score
Thanks, no high flow fixtures. Most of the installers said a 40K is fine but wanted to be safe with 64K. The problem with Fleck 7000 or Clack WS is the ability to add a separate chlorine media.

This system seems to fit the bill perfectly (Fusion NLT Hybrid Professional-Grade Metered Water Softener With Chlorine & Chloramine Removal (20GPM)) however, I do not know this brand from uswater systems.

Reach4

Reaction score
Would like a system which supports KDF-55 or Carbon (preferably in separate tank or built in seperator) (Chlorine Removal)
Don't want to touch system for 10-15 years besides adding salt. (reliable systems)
Coconut shell activated carbon has lifetime of 3 to 5 years. Coconut shell type is what you want for this job.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
You don't want to mix medias in the same tank, unless using something like a media guard setup.

Suggest 2 tanks; one a backwashing carbon filter and then the softener.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A separate tank for the chlorine reduction and softener would be a better choice. The system you mentioned uses a valve and adapter that is not manufactured by Fleck or Clack, probably the tanks too, hard to say for sure. I would not recommend it.

Last edited: