Help with DIY Water Softener + Chlorine System

Users who are viewing this thread

powerplyer

Reaction score
Hello long time lurker on this forum first-time poster.

Here is my issue. I currently have a Kentico Classic (quad system in my house). It has been inactive for over a year due to constant issues and being a money pit (~16 years old). I am looking to get a new system and looking for advice for a complete system. I have called a few water softener companies in the bay area however, they seem be expensive relative to how much the equipment cost vs. buying a DIY system and hiring a plumber.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish with my DIY:
Control Valve either a Fleck 7000XLT or Cleck (after much research these seem to be the best options)
Require a 64K GPG tank(s) (Family of 5 adults with 4 bathrooms)
Would like to use the best resin (read on this form about 10%)
Brine tank (Prefer Square)
Would like a system which supports KDF-55 or Carbon (preferably in separate tank or built in seperator) (Chlorine Removal)
Don't want to touch system for 10-15 years besides adding salt. (reliable systems)

If you making recommendation can you please provide links to sites. My current systems is hooked up to 1" copper fitting. BTW I have been reading the forum for the past week trying to piece together a system however, nothing to seems to be the correct fit for my application.

Thank You in advance for the help.

FYI I am on city water with a hardness of 18 gr/gal. After doing calculation, we consume about 60 gallons per person per day. I know the 64K system may be overkill, but planning for the future.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
Hmmmmm, family of 5 with 4 bathrooms. Any high flow fixtures?

I think you need to size for SFR (service flow rate) verses total hardness grain removal capacity.

Just guessing, but maybe like 16gpm?

I think that is more like a 3 cuft (96k) system.

And I agree, a Fleck 7000 or clack WS are the best valves.

powerplyer

Reaction score
Thanks, no high flow fixtures. Most of the installers said a 40K is fine but wanted to be safe with 64K. The problem with Fleck 7000 or Clack WS is the ability to add a separate chlorine media.

This system seems to fit the bill perfectly (Fusion NLT Hybrid Professional-Grade Metered Water Softener With Chlorine & Chloramine Removal (20GPM)) however, I do not know this brand from uswater systems.

Reach4

Reaction score
Would like a system which supports KDF-55 or Carbon (preferably in separate tank or built in seperator) (Chlorine Removal)
Don't want to touch system for 10-15 years besides adding salt. (reliable systems)
Coconut shell activated carbon has lifetime of 3 to 5 years. Coconut shell type is what you want for this job.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
You don't want to mix medias in the same tank, unless using something like a media guard setup.

Suggest 2 tanks; one a backwashing carbon filter and then the softener.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A separate tank for the chlorine reduction and softener would be a better choice. The system you mentioned uses a valve and adapter that is not manufactured by Fleck or Clack, probably the tanks too, hard to say for sure. I would not recommend it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks