Help! Toilet makes weird noise every 3-15 seconds after hours of not being flushed

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris c

Reaction score
I don't know how to describe the sound...sounds like a groan, 'fart', etc... doesn't sound like running water or 'hissing'. And it only happens after hours of not being fluahed. The water isn't gurgling, nor does anything look weird with the tank of anything in the tank. If I flush, everything is fine for a few hours. I uploaded a video so you can hear the sound. It's annoying!!! Help!!!

Chris c

Reaction score
Never mind, video didn't load. If anyone is willing to help diagnose the problem, I can email the video so you can hear the sound.

Reach4

Reaction score
The good news is that the two parts to suspect are the fill valve and the flush valve including the flapper. It is generally easy to replace a flush valve. A flapper is easy. A flush valve replacement varies.

During the noise, open the lid. How high is the water compared to the overflow?

Lift up on the float. Does the noise stop? If you turn off the stop valve feeding the toilet, I presume the noise stops. But if you then let the toilet sit for an hour or so, what happens to the water level?

And while you are at it, do you like that toilet? Does it ever clog? A new toilet might let you get the plunger out of the bathroom while fixing the weird sound in the process.

Reach4

Reaction score
As I read it, the toilet is quiet for maybe 4 hours. Then it starts making its noise maybe 400 times during the next hour. If the problem was only a leaky flapper, I don't think you would have a pattern like this.

Chris c

Reaction score
Doesn't happen after using a bunch of water. I'm Gone throughout the day, and when I come home i hear it making this noise after hours of not being used. The tank water level is normal - I've played with the flapper and it doesn't help.

More background:
Moved in 3 months ago. About a month ago, I noticed that after being flushed, the bowl water quickly drained to practically none maybe 10 mins after flushing. As the draining would stop, a weird noise would come from the bowl. Then it would stop. Then, as I used the RR and the toilet would have urine flowing in (sorry for being graphic), the weird noise would happen again.

It has since stopped making THAT weird noise, and the draining happens at a much slower rate. But now, after hours of not being used, it starts making the second weird, groaning noise with no movement in the bowl water or tank water (ie: bubbles, gurgling, etc).

Chris c

Reaction score
I'll gladly email the video I took in which you can hear this noise, if anyone thinks they can diagnose the problem!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does this toilet back up to one directly behind it in another bathroom?

Have you tried turning the water off and monitoring the tank level?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Might be a pressure issue. The self-draining bowl is certainly a mystery. Now, if you'd flushed one of my exwife's sausage balls down the drain, that would have sucked all the water out of the bowl.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A lot has been said without knowing what kind of toilet and thus what flush mechanism it uses. Knowing this, and or a simple photo of the tank innards may go a long way in properly diagnosing the issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks