Help ID this pump please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Iradiate1967

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New guy here. I'm getting a well drilled for the very first time in my life, and I'm trying to find something as a temporary fix until I can afford to finish it. The well drilling itself will be $3000. The rest, including the deep well pump, pressure tank etc. turn key will be $2000 more. I want to get the well drilled first and get something to pump water out to a temporary 300 gallon tank. I will be using it to feed my camper onboard tanks and it already has a simple transfer pump to do that. Paying the 2k to finish is not financially possible for a while and the main house is no where near ready for pipes anyhow and won't be until fall.

I found this pump online in my local sale ads. It's $75. Would it be capable of drawing from a deep well? I heard that if the jet pump has 2 pipes coming out its prob a convertible and can handle shallow or deep. Thanks in advance.

Vince ( the newbie in the woods )

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's a red & white tag on the pump housing that gives the model number what does it say?

Iradiate1967

Reaction score
Will be getting a closeup from the seller tomorrow thank you! She is 40 min away or I would go do it myself.

Reach4

Reaction score
How big is your well? How deep? Got commercial power there? A submersible pump is more power-efficient, and it does not need priming.

Iradiate1967

Reaction score
I have power now to the home site, and I am unsure about depth as they have not drilled yet. Will be next week before they are free to come do mine but nearby well was 250 feet at my closest neighbor 500 yards down the road.

I am planning on a submersible and not skimping on brand. This pump will just be temporary so I am not concerned about power efficiency as it won't be used all that much.

Reach4

Reaction score

Iradiate1967

Reaction score
I figured it was the water level not the actual hole depth, thanks. I am trying to ID the pump as convertible or not in order to avoid buying something useless. If it's convertible I think for 75 it's a small risk, but if it's not then I am not sure I will spend that until the well is actually drilled next week.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes it's a Goulds convertble. It's a J series. 1/2HP=J5, 3/4HP=J7 etc.

Setting up a deep well jet just to be temporary is an awful lot of wasted labor. Why not just go straight to the submersible?

Iradiate1967

Reaction score
Well I am a a newbie. I just want to draw water from the well and fill a non pressurized 300 gal container. I have power, I have the opportunity to buy that pump that seems capable of doing it. Is it not possible to simply drop pipe down the well, hook up the pump, and transfer enough water to fill the container? Again I am a newbie so I may be missing a lot? I do know these pumps need to be primed, is there specialized pipe needed?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 140

Reach4

Reaction score
Is it not possible to simply drop pipe down the well, hook up the pump, and transfer enough water to fill the container?
Yes. It is not possible, presuming the water is lower than 25 ft or so below the pump.
is there specialized pipe needed?
For deeper than 25 feet or so below the pump, you need two pipes connecting to a jet unit down the hole. That then has a tail pipe that extends further. For this to work, the water has to be close enough.
54c8014f42d24_-_lg_3251_2_lg.gif
Tailpiece023_DF.jpg

Last edited:

Iradiate1967

Reaction score
Reach thank you for that. I can see the simple method is not an option. Looks like a lot of expense for little gain. I will just wait for the permanent solution of a submersible pump. I have been trying to find a relatively inexpensive way to get water from the well like using a hand pump, but they are not cheap either. Like I said, I am new at this and have little in the way of experience with wells. I was hoping for a temporary source of water to fill my camper tanks but looks like there is nothing cheap and simple to do it with after reading more. Disappointing, but at least you have all saved me from buying a 75$ pump I would no be able to use without spending lots more on it....

Vince

PS: The well is not drilled yet. After looking at this problem I may be better off taking the money I have for the well drilling and just putting it towards other construction costs since spending 3K on a well I won't use for the next 4 months seems a waste of resources. I don't have the money to install a complete system so I will wait until I have enough and need the water to flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks