Have no idea what I have and how it works, just know pressure is very low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tony4x4

Reaction score
Hi there,

We purchased a house in November that came with a well. All we knew was that the well does work and at some point was connected to the house before they switched to municipal water.

The water pressure is very low, with one water sprayer on it performs as if there is a kink in the hose pipe.

Here is what I can answer and hopefully the photos will answer the rest.

Type of pump?
Submersible - Yes
Two wire (no control) - unsure
Three wire (control box) - unsure
Wire Size - unsure Wire Length - unsure
or
Jet Pump (above ground) - No
One or two pipes down the well - unsure
Size of Pump?
Motor Horsepower? - unsure
Pump Model # - unsure
Date Pump Installed - unsure

Pumping from?
Cistern tank___________
Pond, lake, river________
Water Well - Yes
Depth of well - unsure
Depth to water - unsure
Pump Setting - unsure
Pipe Size_________?"
Drop Pipe Material
PVC________
Steel_______
Poly________

Well Recovery Rate_______gpm
Well Casing Diameter_______â€
Rock Well__________ Sand Well__________ Other______________
Date Well Drilled____________

Well Casing Material
PVC________ Steel_________ Other_________

Pressure Tank?
Bladder or diaphragm tank (one pipe to tank) - unsure
Size or model of tank - 120 Gallon - 75psi
Air charge in top of tank, with pump off and water drained Have not seen valve PSI
(check with car tire gauge)
or
Plain Hydro Pneumatic tank (two pipes to tank, one in and one out) ProSource AW120
Size of tank 120

Pressure Switch Setting?
On 30, off 50 Yes
On 40, off 60_________
Other_______________

Pump Control Method? - Unsure
Cycle Stop Valve model #_________
Variable speed control #__________
Pump Start Relay (sprinkler timer, no tank)__________
Manually turned on and off____________

Pump Protection - Unsure
Cycle Sensor_________
Pumptec_____________
Low pressure cutoff switch (lever on side)__________
Other_______________

Filters or Softeners - Yes
Before or after pressure tank - After
Type of filter - Unsure
Bypass available - Don't think so

Water Used For?
House Use_______ Number of baths_______ Number of People________
High Flow Showers_______gpm?
Plus/Or
Irrigation with timers - Working towards - currently just 1 garden faucet
Irrigation with hoses________
Heat Pump______gpm?

Problems Experienced
No Water_________________
Water only part time________
Water at all times but weak - Yes
Air in water - Sometimes
Pressure surging___________
Water Hammer (noise)______
Too Much pressure_________
Other____________________

Pump makes clicking or buzzing sounds________
No Sounds______________
Pressure gauge reading - 50psi when not in use
Other____________________________________

Do you have, and know how to use
an Ampmeter and Voltmeter - No

Describe Problem - Very weak pressure. Would like to irrigate 2 acre ground via multiple zones.

IMG_1129.jpg
This is the "well head"
IMG_1131.jpg
Not sure what this is but has temperatures on it.
IMG_1135.jpg
This is the pressure gauge on the tank reading 50psi
IMG_1136.jpg
This is the "head" of the water treatment tank, I think softener.
IMG_1139.jpg
This is the make of the pressure tank.

Could not load up the other photos but show the back end of the pressure tank with the out flow going up in to the "water treatment" tank and then back out again down in to the ground towards the house.

There is a tire pressure valve immediately before the pressure switch.

Hope this is enough information.

Thanks

Tony

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Rather than copy/paste that long form that is mostly not filled out, you would have been better off to simply provide the two or three points. As it is, it is TL;DR.
View attachment 19539
Not sure what this is but has temperatures on it.
It is not temperature, it is degrees of close. Essentially, it is a micronizer that severely constricts the flow. It's purpose is to aerate the water, probably to mitigate sulfer smell or iron.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The numbers on the valve are not temperature, they are showing how many degrees (angle) the valve is open.

The tank is not a bladder tank, but we do not know if the air volume control is working so the tank could be waterlogged. I would shut off the pump and drain the tank, and then see if it is any better after restarting everything. In the long run the functionality of the air system is going to need to be verified.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What is your intention? Do you plan to disconnect from municipal water or are you just wanting to use this for irrigation?

My guess is that what you call the "water treatment" tank is in fact an iron filter and as such most likely all clogged up with precipitated iron.

Depending on how bad the iron is and if your sprinklers don't spray onto areas that would get iron stained, you may be better off to simply bypass it. You could manually precharge the precipitation tank with an air compressor if it gets waterlogged. Adjust the sprinkler zones so that the pump never shuts off and it won't much matter.

Tony4x4

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments "LLigetfa", I was just following the instructions, which stated copy 'n paste the form even if you don't know the answers.
The well is already disconnected from the house. My intention is to use it just for irrigation using a multi zone system. Currently there is just one faucet attached to the well but the pressure is very low and probably only waters a 100 sq ft area using an oscillating sprinkler.

Thanks cacher_chick for your advise. After draining the tank would I need to put air back into it?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If there is a bleeder in the drop pipe and the air volume control doesn't function properly you will end up with an air bound tank. By the looks of the one in your pic, I would spend a few bucks and replace it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Currently there is just one faucet attached to the well but the pressure is very low and probably only waters a 100 sq ft area using an oscillating sprinkler.

Thanks cacher_chick for your advise. After draining the tank would I need to put air back into it?

There will be air in the tank after you drain the water out. For now, I would just do that to see if you get much improvement in your system pressure. If the pressure is ok then, you will have to get the air system working properly.

No sense spending a bunch of money when you might find out that the well is not going to produce adequate water for your needs.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about that pressure tank. For a sprinkler only system you can get by without one if you plan your zones so the pump never shuts off.

Get rid of the micronizer and the iron filer. Those two are killing your flow. If the well can produce as much as the sprinklers need you'll be all set. Just make sure the sprinklers don't hit light coloured siding cuz of the rust stains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks