Hard to remove sleeves on shower faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

mrfixit

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed already but couldn't find a thread.
I have an old house (1956) and am fixing the original shower and bathtub faucets, but I can't remove the chrome sleeves/tubes that thread onto the outside of the stems. The faucets are three handle type. I've tried penetrating oil, vinegar and heat but they won't budge. Anybody have any suggestions. Also, is there any place where I can buy handles for old faucets. One of my diverter handles is badly corroded. Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

There is a good chance that they are PricePfister faucets, in which case Home Depot, and probably other similar stores, have an upgrade kit to replace everything except the piece in the wall. It is not as good an upgrade as I would do, but is adequate for the DIY'er. As for removing the sleeves, find a socket, mine is a 15/16", that just slides into the opening of the sleeve. Then grab the sleeve, and socket, with pliers and unscrew it. The socket will prevent the sleeve from distorting and let it unscrew.

mrfixit

Reaction score
That Worked Great

Thanks HJ. That worked great. The sleeves came right off. I think that was one of the cleverest tricks I have ever heard of. It seems logical now that distorting the sleeve put the threads in a bind. Now I just have to find some replacements for the ones I damaged.