Hard to remove fill valve

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by ahaddad, Mar 21, 2007.

1. ahaddad

ahaddad New Member

Hi all,
    I'm a new homeowner and I need to replace my first fill valve. I can't get the old one off! The bolt at the bottom of the tank is completely stuck. I tried for two hours last night with no luck (well, I got the lower one off but the one that's in contact with the tank won't budge). Any ideas or tricks about removing it?
    Thanks,
    Alex
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

Unless it is a brass fill valve with a "pot metal" nut, it should not be that tight so you may be doing something wrong. If it is really that tight, you might want to call a plumber before you crack the tank and have to buy a new complete toilet.
  3. ahaddad

ahaddad New Member

Good point. Maybe I'm using the wrong tool. The thing is plastic and I was trying to get it off with a wrench. The whole assembly turns when I try to loosen it.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You will have to hold the inside piece with your hand while applying the pliers to the underside nut. All else fails, very carefully hold a hacksaw blade inyour hand and cut the nut. On an all plastic set up, this should not be necassary. It will come loose.
  5. maddog

maddog Engineer

I had the exact same problem removing a plastic fill valve. It would just spin around in the tank while turning the plastic nut on the bottom. I used a hack saw blade, which easily cut through the threaded part of the valve. I then carefully cut about half way through the plastic nut and was then able to pry/separate/split the nut with a thin blade screw driver. -dog
  6. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Cut it off.......
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

nut

If it is plastic, heat a screwdriver with a torch and melt a groove up the side of it, then snap it off the thread. You won't have to worry about damaging the tank or anything else doing it this way.
  8. ahaddad

ahaddad New Member

It's FIXED

Thanks for all the suggestions. I couldn't get anything to work.
    Then my dad came over and chiseled it off in 10 seconds!!
    I HIGHLY recommend that method!:D :D :D :D