Hammering? or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben Ferguson

Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently remodeled my kitchen. This included moving the water supply lines aproximatly 25'. Since then I can hear some ticking in the wall. This happens only after the water has been running for 3 to 4 min and stops when the kitchen faucet is turned off.
Is this hammering or not? If so will a basic hammer work?
I would appreciate some suggestions if anyone has run into this before.
Thanks, Ben

Radster

Licensed Plumbing and heating contractor for 25 ye
Reaction score
Hey Ben,
I don't think you have water hammer. Sounds like the hot water piping is to tight in the wall and as the pipe heats up the pipe expands and that is the ticking noise you hear. As for fixing it.......unless the wall is still open you are out of luck.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A water hammer occurs when you quickly shut off a valve (often occurs with a solonoid valve like in an icemaker, washing machine, etc.). Noises when there's no water flowing is from expansion/contraction. This is often more noticable on plastic drain pipes, but can occur on supply lines (usually hot) both with plastic or copper pipe. They make guides/holders for pipe that allow for this expansion/contraction. If it was installed through a hole that is undersized or under tension, or clamped too tight, the only way to fix it is probably go back in, find the tight spot and resolve the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks