HACH #5B Hardness Test Kit Question.

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by sidmoore, Aug 20, 2013.

1. sidmoore

sidmoore New Member

Whoa, Nellie!!!

I just received the HACH Model 5B Hardness Test Kits that were recommended here and just did my first test of our softened water. But, when I added the scoopful of UniVer 3 Hardness Reagent to my sample, it did not turn pink as stated in the instructions. Instead, it turned a dark purple/blue. After adding one drop of titrant solution, it became a bit more blue (nothing dramatic); after drop #2, it turned a bit more blue; and, finally, after drop #3, the color changed almost imperceptibly more blue (I'm not really sure it changed on drop #3, at all).

Man, was I disappointed! I fully expected one of those "Sid the Science Kid" type reactions. You know the kind: where the transformation is instantaneous and jaws drop in amazement at the magical powers of the performer.

The product box has no expiration date, but, there is a lot number (A3213).

So, is this wishy-washy test what's to be expected from this kit? If so, it's cost is a mighty price to pay for something that I know can be done better for less. Or, so I would expect. This isn't high tech rocket science here.

Any comments/suggestions????

Many thanks for your input.

Sid
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

What do you suppose it means when your sample didn't turn pink?
  3. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

Pink or red water would indicate hard water. Blue indicates soft. Test the water prior to your softener and see how many drops it takes to turn bule then you will see whether you softener is set up properly.
  4. sidmoore

sidmoore New Member

Thanx, guys. What do you make of the beginning color of the solution being dark purplish-blue---not red, nor, pink???????
  5. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

Less than 1 GPG soft.
  6. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

It will not be red unless the water is more than 1 GPG hard. You have soft water. The Hach 5B is an inexpensive test for Grains per Gallon testing. If you want the "Sid the Science Kid" test, then use the Hach HA-71A kit. I use it for boiler and power generation systems, or post RO/pre EDI systems where GPG is not accurate enough. This kit will get you to the PPM range, but it really isnt necessary for residential applications. FYI, 1 GPG = 17.1 ppm It is still a fun kit to use to see just how soft your unit really is!

HA-71A.jpg
  7. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

I bought the Hach CN-39WR test kit way back when, which tests for total chlorine, hardness, iron, and pH. It's pricey, but puts the common tests (except for free chlorine) in one carrying case. I'm pretty sure it uses the HA-71A method for hardness.
  8. sidmoore

sidmoore New Member

Thanx, Ditto (post #6). I tested pre-softener water and, indeed, it turned baby cheek pink. It took something like 25 drops of titrate solution to get it to slowly tend towards blue. As one other poster suggested in a rather round-about way---and YOU clarified---my system is doing a very good job of softening.

Incidentally, Dittohead, you are an excellent communicator. Wouldn't be surprised if you've had quite a lot of experience teaching, or, managing people.

Sid
  9. Gary Slusser

Sid, you asked for any comments/suggestions.

You were using a hard water test kit that gives a pink result for hard water and a blue result for softened water. You test your softened water and you got a blue test result and then, then you couldn't think it through and had to get online and ask what was wrong with the test kit!!

So I asked you a question to make you think, and it did but I see it wasn't about your test kit result. Forgive me but I think that's hilarious. Sad too when ya think about it.
  10. ditttohead

Thanks Sid. I travel the world doing training seminars and speeches to water treatment companies. Sometimes for sales and marketing, other times for just pure training. I also install residential and commercial equipment occassionally to keep my skills up. I am a USP certified trainer and a Certified Water Specilaist level 6 (the highest level by the WQA and a Certified Installer). I also hold some other licenses outside of the water treatment industry. Training is my favorite part of my job!
  11. Gary Slusser

And all we get to see is your self promoting unsubstantiated claims.
  12. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

I thought you were the self proclaimed guru of the DIY helpers? Not very helpful there Skippy LOL

You know, some folks ain't looking for a three page technical explanation, they just want an answer.
  13. Gary Slusser

And you could have used one of your infamous one liners and usually incorrect answers but didn't.
  14. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

And that would be because post #3 pretty much covered it. If the forum had a thanks button I definately would have given it a tap. LOL It took you five more posts to get around to it and even then you still had to berate the OP.

What unsubstantiated claims has Ditto made?
  15. ditttohead

And why do I have to substantiate my qualifications to Gary? Enough people on this board know me from trade shows, business, training seminars etc to know my qualifications. So far, Gary is the only one who needs it... lol.

Speaking of qualifications, continuing education, etc, is anyone going to the Water Expo in Florida next month? How about the PWQA in October in California? Aquatech Amsterdam? National Ground Water Show in Memphis in December? I will be, let me know and I will buy the first beer. unless it is Amsterdam, I am not much of a fan of Amstel.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  16. Gary Slusser

You don't have to for me, it's for the OPs and other readers here that don't know you or you don't do business with but.... tell us more about all those here that know you and how you know that they read the forum.