Gravity Fed Hot Water

Discussion in 'Solar and Geothermal Water Heating Forum' started by ScottinOhio, Jan 4, 2010.

1. ScottinOhio

ScottinOhio New Member

Hello Everyone,

Not sure if this is the best place to post this or not but here goes!

Basically what I am looking to do is get hot water to fixtures quicker. House is a Tri-level with a basement. My hot water system branches off into two different directions so will eventually need two loops. For now I’m focusing on the loop for the main level. I have a 50 Gal. Marathon water heater in my basement and I’m going to try the gravity fed route first and add a pump of some sort later if it doesn’t work out. I also have a FHP Geo unit with a DSH. Below is a picture of my existing setup minus the purple return line w/check valve and the check valve on the DSH return line. My existing expansion tank is 2 gal. and total loop run will be approx. 55 ft. From what I’ve read I need to use a “swing†style check valve on the loop and drill a small hole in it for convection.

I’m basically looking for any input, recommendations, etc. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Will this system work like this? Should I make any changes? All pipe is 3/4†copper. Should I go with a bigger expansion tank or will the 2 Gal. be sufficient?

Thanks,
    Scott S.

Attached Files:

2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

That should work very well. When adding the 2nd loop install a valve on each loop for balancing.

John