Gravel under septic line okay?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by DIY Ray, Apr 3, 2012.

1. DIY Ray

DIY Ray New Member

I'm now running the septic line 150' from the apartment to the main septic tank. Rented the trencher made a nice ditch and ready to lay pipe. My drop is on the money thanks to a friend with a transit system. The bottom of the trench solid sandstone, just soft enough to scrape a shovel full.

Now the problem, it poured rain and the trench filled with water (40' 2-10" deep) toward the end where I have not finished the ditch to the tank. I dug a drain ditch and the water ran out but the bottom is mud! The weather is nice today and starting to dry it but may rain again soon. I have room to raise the entire run up a few inches, can I just add gravel to make the bottom solid so I can finish installing or do we have to wait until the mud drys completely? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
  2. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Since its not the drain field, just the run to the tank, and sandstone, using heavy wall pipe - not the crap from the dollar store- the pipe should bed in the sand mud fine. I would leave it open for as long as possible, and consider some sort of swing joint or slip connector to allow for settling later. You might want to pour a thrust block near the bottom of the run also to help with future movement. And spend a little money on access chambers at critical joints and 'D' boxes and cleanouts. Nothing worse than hidden septics.
  3. DIY Ray

DIY Ray New Member

Thanks for the advice. The trench dryed out very well and only ended up with skim coat of mud thanks to the sandstone bottom. I am putting cleanouts every 40'. Dry fit all the pipe yesterday and in runs perfectly. I used all schedule 40 pvc so it seems strong and solid. I drilled a 4" hole in a 12" concrete wall to connect to the apartment. Is it okay to run the schedule 40 thru the hole alone or should I use some sort of sleeve?
  4. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

If really on a solid bottom, no. If settling possible use a rubber sleeve of sorts...