Gooodman Furnace

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by Soapm, May 7, 2014.

1. Soapm

Soapm New Member

2. Stuff

Stuff Member

Goodman is actually one of the biggest manufacturers. They just don't advertise. Opinions vary but most seem to be that their quality is now on par with the name brands. They also sell to everyone so the fly by night installers use them almost exclusively. It is more about the reputation of the installer.
  3. Soapm

Soapm New Member

Thanks, I questioned the installer about the 1 year warranty and this was his response, "Yes, Industry Standard is 1 year. Maybe the very very expensive brands have more than a one year warranty, but in my 27 years of being in business I haven't seen multi year warranties. The reason for that is the wear and tear placed on equipment by continued use that the manufacturer does not get to see with a multi year warranty."

Does that sound right? We purchased a Trane for our home some years ago and got more warranty than 1 year.

Also, on the Goodman's site they offer more warranty but you have to jump through hoops to get it like registering your product within 60 days etc... It seems some of this they should know by the serial number and when the installer purchased the item but this sounds flaky??? Is this warranty on par with other manufacturers?

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/WarrantyOverview.aspx
  4. dj2

dj2 Member

Goodman is middle of the road unit. It will most likely give you dependable service. Installers like it, because it's cheaper than Lennox, Trane or Carrier - but not less quality, in my experience. BTW, in this age of consolidations, companies are buying other companies, keep the name brands and increase their market share this way. So you may have a situation that an established name brand manufacturer is actually owned by another.

If you want extended warranty, you don't have to purchase it from Goodman, you can get Home Warranty (American Shield is an example. Bad example) and cross your fingers. A reliable and experienced installer makes all the difference.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The kind of warranty you may get on a residential install verses a commercial one will likely differ.
  6. Soapm

Soapm New Member

So you guys are confirming that 1 year is an industry standard for commercial. Ok, didn't know that.

And that we could do worse than Goodman...

Thanks...
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I know on some things, yes, the warranty changes based on residential verses commercial...I do not know on central a/c and furnaces...they usually have that info on their website, though.