Good softener air gap?

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a decent pre-made air gap for a Kenmore softener. I have done a search but not finding much, and few if any reviews of the ones I have found online. Some of the reviews were negative, mostly saying that either the unit may not have a built-in way to attach the plastic drain hose, or for those that do, the barbed fitting on the air gap has a small enough diameter to slow the flow.

Any leads you can offer on a decent air gap setup for connecting a plastic drain hose into 1 1/2 in. PVC standpipe?

Bannerman

Reaction score
for those that do, the barbed fitting on the air gap has a small enough diameter to slow the flow.
Depending on the softener's drain flow rate, that may not be an actual issue but a simple solution would be to increase the drain line diameter and air gap fitting size. For instance, if the softener has a 1/2" diameter drain fitting, adapt up to a 3/4" drain tube directly after the softener and install an air gap with a 3/4" fitting.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/airgap.html#softener

http://www.airgap.com/mr_drain.html

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have never used a prefab air gap. A pair of pipe standoffs to secure the hose above the receptor works fine.
Where the adjacent wall is finished, I make a splash shield by cutting a stub of PVC pipe lengthwise and zip-tie it across the back of the air gap. The same thing can be accomplished by notching the top of the standpipe.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Depending on the softener's drain flow rate, that may not be an actual issue but a simple solution would be to increase the drain line diameter and air gap fitting size. For instance, if the softener has a 1/2" diameter drain fitting, adapt up to a 3/4" drain tube directly after the softener and install an air gap with a 3/4" fitting.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/airgap.html#softener

http://www.airgap.com/mr_drain.html

Thanks! Will give one of these a try. Probably go with the first one as it seems to be ready to go. The 2nd one needs a fitting to adapt to the hose and not really clear from their website how to order those.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
We sell a ton of mr. drains and I have personally installed hundreds of them.

Don't be surprised if a little splashing occurs. I don't recommend installing them in areas that are easily damaged by a few drops of water. Outside or in a garage where a drop or two occasionally... these are great.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Good to know -- mine is in an unfinished basement so a small amt of water would be OK.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
We are literally talking a few drops per regeneration but if it is right above a nice wood floor... not good.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have never used a prefab air gap. A pair of pipe standoffs to secure the hose above the receptor works fine.
Where the adjacent wall is finished, I make a splash shield by cutting a stub of PVC pipe lengthwise and zip-tie it across the back of the air gap. The same thing can be accomplished by notching the top of the standpipe.

Your last sentence sounds like something I had considered -- just putting some longitudinal slits in the standpipe below the level of the end of the tubing that I would insert into the standpipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks