GFCI for water softener in garage?

Users who are viewing this thread

swlred

Reaction score
Is a GFCI outlet required (or recommended) for a water softener located in the garage? I'm installing some whole-house water equipment in my garage (sediment filter, water softener, UV light) and the instruction manual for the UV light recommends installing it on a GFCI outlet. The instructions for the water softener do not specify which type of electrical outlet should be used.

Also, a related question (which I should probably post in the electrical forum, but I'll try it here first since it is related to the water softener topic): Do all outlets in a garage have to be GFCI-protected? The original circuit in the garage is GFCI protected, but I hired an electrician to install some additional outlets for the water equipment and new HVAC equipment (whole-house dehumidifier) and he installed regular circuits without GFCI protection. Additionally, the outlets have more receptacles than necessary to serve the equipment.

I am not an electrician, which is why I hired one, but some internet research has led me to believe that appliance outlets in the garage must be either simplex (for a single appliance) or duplex (for two appliances plugged in to the same outlet) and that no unused, non-GFCI outlets should be present in the garage.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That's the way it was in the 2005 NEC; from the 2014 code: All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles in a garage must be GFCI protected; 210.8(A)(2).

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
index.php
Correct, GFCI is required. All of my outlets are GFCI and I have also installed wet location in use covers on all outlets near my equipment. If you look closely, there are 4 electrical outlets near my water system.

swlred

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and information. It looks like it's time to hire a new electrician….

Very impressive water system, ditttohead.

Stuff

Reaction score
You also have a clearance issue with the electrical panel. Nothing should be in front of it - 30" wide area.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks