Gerry Rigged Toilet Misses Drain Pipe by 2 Inches

Users who are viewing this thread

sombrerocat

Reaction score
Forgot to ask -- what the heck do we do now to fix this problem? The drain pipe is cast iron.

Ugh -- it all started out with re-doing the flooring in our bathroom. We changed out our sink -- no problem. Got to the toilet -- MAJOR SNAFU. We pulled our toilet up -- and found a waxy seal mess, bent to "compensate" for the fact that the toilet and drain pipe don't line up. The toilet has a reverse trap, and is held down to the floor by 4 screws. Some of the tile behind the toilet was removed to cram it up against the wall.

The drain pipe -- I could find no discernible flange -- and could see the edge of the cast iron pipe. The hardwood floor around the toilet is -- you guessed it -- rotten. I'm dreading finding out what's beneath -- the subfloor consists of 1x6 planks placed diagonally across the joists.

The original idea was to pull up the hardwood flooring, lay down 1/2" thick plywood, 1/4" backerboard, and then the tile. But now we're stuck with the drain pipe in the wrong position for the toilet -- and need to resolve this issue before moving forward. I measured the wall to center of drain pipe which is about 9-1/2".

Fortunately we have a half bath in addition to this main bath we were renovating the floor.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Check out some 10" toilets to see if there is one that will fit on a 9 1/2" rough, and if so have a plumber install a cast iron flange for it. Otherwise you may have to do some revisions to the drain opening.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Now is the perfect time to have that section of drain replaced so that it will fit a standard 12" rough-in toilet.
How easy that will be depends on what is there to start out with.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are SO many more toilets made for a 12" rough-in than 10"...do yourself a favor and move it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks