Geotherm open loop system water pressure problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Ldameron

Reaction score
Hello all I am a newbie here:
I have learned a great deal of knowledge here and thanks to all.
My question?
I have an open loop system, 2 units, 3 ton upstairs, 5 ton down, cycle stop valve, when both systems are running I don't have enought water pressure to take showers upstairs, just a trickle.
Could I install a small pump/tank in the line to give more pressure?
How much water pressure does a deep well pump produce?

I forget to mention that I have a 28 gpm well pump.
The geo uses about 20 to 24 gpm
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Leonard

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you have a 28 GPM pump and the Geo is using a max of 24 GPM, you should still have 4 GPM left for the shower. We need some more info on the well and pump. Do you know the depth of the well, water level, or the model number of the pump?

Ldameron

Reaction score
Do not for sure but I think it is 280 feet deep, 1hp pump in well do not know water level
I hope this helps

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 1 HP, 25 GPM pump can only produce 24 GPM from 130' with no pressure. Even without knowing the water level in the well, I am sure you are running out of pump. A large pump in the well will produce more water and pressure, but will increase the pumping cost for the Geo system. You might consider a two pump system. Let the Geo be fed by the submersible pump at low pressure, and add a booster pump system to boost the pressure to the house.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I forgot to memtion I have an 80 gal gav tank that gets air from the well when the pump stops. How does that change the drawing?
Thanks

Well that changes a lot of things. Do you have iron on something in the water that needs to mix with air? Or can you change to a bladder style tank?

Ldameron

Reaction score
Well that changes a lot of things. Do you have iron on something in the water that needs to mix with air? Or can you change to a bladder style tank?

the well system puts air into the tank when the tank gets up to cut off pressure. i don't know what that would do to a bladder tank. i think i would have to change somthing to not generate air when the pump shuts off.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is easy to take the air charge system out to use a bladder tank. However, if you have iron or something in the water the air system and galv type tank are needed.

How

Reaction score
I installed a heat exchanger one time when I did not have enough flow from the well. PM me with your email address if you are interested.

Ldameron

Reaction score
Hello Valveman:

back on this project. my heat pump, the compressor has gone bad, complete replacement is needed. you say it's easy to take out an air charge system and put in a bladder tank. how would i do this?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Usually just removing the above ground check valve will keep the air charge system from working, then you can install a bladder tank type system. However, if you still get air in the lines or if the pump comes on when no one is using water, you may have to pull the pump up a few feet and plug the bleeder orifice.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A CSV doesn’t care if it is galv or bladder tank. But a bleeder orifice system needs to cycle to add air to a galv tank. With a CSV the pump may not cycle enough to add the needed amount of air. If you lower the bleeder orifice twice as deep in the well, then when the pump does come on it adds twice as much air per cycle, and a galv tank will usually work fine with a CSV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks