Gas smell from new water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

crazebstrd

Reaction score
I have a State Select water heater with an HSI. I noticed when it fires up I can smell gas for a few seconds then it goes away. Is this normal for this type of water heater?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would shut it off and have a plumber come to check the installation.
You should not be having smells from it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Have someone come in and look at it. One thing we cannot do via the internet or Google is smell what you are smelling! This may be a non-issue, or it could be a flue draft problem. Worth having someone check it out.

crazebstrd

Reaction score
It's definitely gas I'm smelling. I called the gas company and they are coming out to check it out. I don't think it's a flue issue since it's a powervent model and that seems to be working ok. Thanks for the posts. I'll let you know what happens.

crazebstrd

Reaction score
I had the gas company come out and they didn't find any problems but he did smell the gas upon startup. He said it was probably a normal condition. So did State water heater. I'm satisfied. Thanks for the posts.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wa Wa Wa What?

You should never ever smell gas. Get someone else in there to look at it. Either its not igniting properly or it's not venting properly

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Wa Wa Wa What?

You should never ever smell gas. Get someone else in there to look at it. Either its not igniting properly or it's not venting properly

This doesn't sound right!
I'm agreeing with NH Master on this one big time!

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
State's owners manual.
http://www.stateind.com/lit/im/res-gas/197218-000.pdf

Page 13 (lucky 13)

"BEFORE OPERATING smell all around the appliance area for gas. Be sure to smell next to the floor because some gas is heavier than air and will settle on the floor.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU SMELL GAS:
Do not try to light any appliance.
Do not touch any electric switch;
do not use any phone in your building.
Immediately call your gas supplier from a neighbor’s phone.
Follow the gas supplier’s instructions.
If you cannot reach your gas supplier, call the fire department."

State told you this is normal?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you missed the point where it is momentary, and only occurs when the thermostat calls for heat. On a well-designed burner, I would think that you would not get that, but if the pilot light is not well placed, a little gas could escape prior to the main burner igniting. Not ideal, but probably not catastrophic. This is even more likely if it is a hot wire ignitor or sparker if it doesn't have a pilot light.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think you missed the point where it is momentary, and only occurs when the thermostat calls for heat. On a well-designed burner, I would think that you would not get that, but if the pilot light is not well placed, a little gas could escape prior to the main burner igniting. Not ideal, but probably not catastrophic. This is even more likely if it is a hot wire ignitor or sparker if it doesn't have a pilot light.

Maybe, but I ain't buying it. something's afoul here Watson.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks