Gas pipe question!

Users who are viewing this thread

Switchex

Reaction score
Hi .. i have recently purchased an old house and noticed that when i open the gas valve, a lot of rust comes out of the pipe .. non of the gas appliances have been installed yet (they are on order) .. I opened the valve for the stove more than 20 times throughout the day (about 10 sec each time) .. and the rust doesn’t seem to get any less .. Does this have anything to do with the fact that the has been vacant for more than 2 years and no one has used it? is it normal? should i keep running it until the dust stops or is it time for new pipes? .. i have never heard anyone changing gas pipes inside the house .. any suggestions?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well, I don't know why you keep opening the valve! But the dust is a bad sign. This could be a problem for orifices and gas control valves. At a minimum, it seems like you should install drip legs at each appliance if they are not already there.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
How does rust come out? Is it wet or dry?

Drip legs should be installed before the take off of each appliance, and most appliances have a filter of some sort which is good to not clog small orfices, but the filter may have to be cleaned periodically.

Jason

Switchex

Reaction score
The dust (more like rust .. it is dark brown in color) comes out dry .. where is this copming form? i kept opening the value hoping it was just some rust build up inside the pipe .. but doesn't see like it wants to go away ... i am sure if i just connect ot to my brand new gas stove, it would get blocked in a coupe of hours .. sounds like i need a pro to look at this one! what is a drip leg?

Switchex

Reaction score
Sorry, can u tell me what a drip leg is? Also, do u know if all appliances have a filter? In this case i will be installing a brand new gas oven and a water heater .. Would they have a filter and would they stop the rust particles ?.. Could i be damaging my appliances? Is there a need to replace the pipes?.... thanks again/

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A drip leg is a pipe nipple perhaps 6" long in a tee. The nipple (drip leg) is pointed down and is capped. The appliance is connected to the side of the tee which is pointed up. The drip leg will catch any moisture or debris that passes through the line before it reaches the appliance. Asking this question would indicate you have no knowledge of gas fitting. Suggest you at least get a good reference book or professional inspection before you just assume everything is OK. Mistakes with gas can be fatal.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rust

Well, in the first place when you open the valve you are getting the maximum flow and velocity. Your gas stove, or whatever, will never let the gas flow that rapidly. If it does your gas pipes are too small and you would have to relight all the pilots everytime you used the stove because there would not be enough gas to run everything.

Switchex

Reaction score
Thanks all for replies .. yes, i will have a professional look at the pipes and connections .. gas is the one thing i don't want to mess around with .. i just want to get as much info as possible so when i call around i know what they are talking about it .. thanks all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks