Gas meter question for Pro style range install...

Users who are viewing this thread

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel...called 2 plumbers to give me a quote on running a natural gas line , 1" for the Blue star 48" range which eats up 160k btu's. Both came in the same ballpark, so I was ready to pull the trigger on one when I met another contractor who asked me what size gas meter I had ? I didn't know so I did some research and realized that my current meter was undersized for my future BTU load.
I did some research online and figured out that I need 1.5" line to supply the gas I need ...future garage is approx 100' from the gas meter and will have a 80k btu furnace. My current load is approx. 310k btu's with an additional 80k when the garage is built. I called the utility company and made an appt. for a meter upgrade,they are installing a 425 cfh meter @ N/C...my question is , the utility co. said that the fittings on the gas meter are 1" and if I needed to I could use an adapter to upsize to 1 1/2"....but I thought that the initial pipe size determined the gas flow for the entire grid? Am I wrong in this thinking...what am I missing.

Great forum ...been a lurker for a while and I appreciate the input.

thanks

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
So, I could have a 1" gas meter connection ....step it up to 1.5" and still have the volume I need for the 100' run ?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Friend, doing your own gas work is like doing your own brain surgery. You should have all of this professionally done. Gas installation is NOT a DIY project.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In most cases, the supply line TO the gas meter is at much higher pressures than that after it...so, given the higher pressure, a smaller input line is okay.

Stuff

Reaction score
Is there a regulator at the meter? Some places will allow you to go to a medium pressure meter with regulators to step down to low pressure where needed. This lets you have longer runs, smaller pipes, and higher volume. Worth a call to the utility to ask if an option.

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
Friend, doing your own gas work is like doing your own brain surgery. You should have all of this professionally done. Gas installation is NOT a DIY project.
I will have a pro run the gas lines...if I can find one that has a clue !! As I said 2 licensed plumbers failed to realize that the meter needed an upgrade..makes me wonder ...they both came to the house and inspected the existing set up and looked at the new monster range.
I spoke with the Utility company yesterday afternoon and mad an appt. for Friday to have a 425CFH meter installed...they told me that the gas in my area runs @ 6"wc and ALL residential applications are .25psi low pressure so I need to upgrade the size of my pipe to supply a future garage build approx. 100ft from the meter.
I want it done right the 1st time so I don't have any issues in the future.

I appreciate the input

Stuff

Reaction score
I might of missed it - Have they looked at the size and length of the pipe from the street to the meter to see if it can support the bigger meter? Since it is low pressure distribution system this can be a factor.

DougB

Reaction score
I have a Viking 6 Burner / 50 Gal High Recovery WH / 180,000 BTU boiler. 2 PSI coming into the home - it's stepped down at the meter - a 'regular' residential meter. I have 3/4" black pipe, and 1/2" black pipe to the range. No problems.

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
In most cases, the supply line TO the gas meter is at much higher pressures than that after it...so, given the higher pressure, a smaller input line is okay.

You are right, talked to the gas company today and the main from the street is a 1/2" line running @ 45psi ...which will supply about 800k btu's or 780 cfh, more than enough to supply my 425 cfh meter upgrade.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The key some seem to be missing is that the supply line coming in to the meter is at 6psi as reported here, and is likely to be significant in size...the regulator at the meter will keep the outlet pressure at design (o.25psi) unless you try to pull too much through the meter. In this case, the meter is being upgraded so it can supply more. Now, then, you need to do the calculations on the working length (includes factors for fittings), diameter, and demand. As long as your lines after the meter can each supply the needed gas, and you've not exceeded the meter's capacity, it should all work out.

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
The key some seem to be missing is that the supply line coming in to the meter is at 6psi as reported here, and is likely to be significant in size...the regulator at the meter will keep the outlet pressure at design (o.25psi) unless you try to pull too much through the meter. In this case, the meter is being upgraded so it can supply more. Now, then, you need to do the calculations on the working length (includes factors for fittings), diameter, and demand. As long as your lines after the meter can each supply the needed gas, and you've not exceeded the meter's capacity, it should all work out.

I see you say 6psi....am I mistaken that they told me 45psi from the street....first they said 24psi, then looked up my street and house in their records.. they had the date of original installation, dates they upgraded the street etc.......and told me it was 45 ?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is about right, but that pressure is immaterial to you as long as the meter has the capacity, and even if it were "too small", I doubt that you would have ever noticed the difference.

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
That is about right, but that pressure is immaterial to you as long as the meter has the capacity, and even if it were "too small", I doubt that you would have ever noticed the difference.

You are probably right but I have it stuck in my head that I need to cover myself @ full BTU load...even though it will most likely NEVER happen !! It may be overkill, having the new meter installed but since its free to upgrade...I figure what can it hurt, plus I want the option of running a 100' line and having the volume to heat my new garage.

This is all new to me so I appreciate your patience and the input.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
The incoming pressure to the meter is somewhat immaterial as long as the pipe size and pressure is sufficient and the meter can handle it for the home's demands. The point is that the incoming pressure is greater than the outlet pressure. The pressure regulator will open or close to keep the pressure the same at its outlet based on both the load and the supply pressure.

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
The incoming pressure to the meter is somewhat immaterial as long as the pipe size and pressure is sufficient and the meter can handle it for the home's demands. The point is that the incoming pressure is greater than the outlet pressure. The pressure regulator will open or close to keep the pressure the same at its outlet based on both the load and the supply pressure.

According to the utility company, the 1/2" supply line from the main will supply me approx. 780 CFH, so I should be fine considering my total load will be less than 400k btu's even with my new garage.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks