Gas Line Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan Wendorf

Reaction score
Hey Guys:

Mostly curiosity here at this point, but also scoping out possibly moving the gas line in my basement. The meter is on the exterior of the house, but the regulator is in the basement. The piping from the regulator bisects into a 1" black pipe the only feeds the furnace, and another 3/4" black pipe the feeds dryer, range, and water heater. When I do gas line sizing calculations (longest length method) for the needed BTUs per MN code, I find I only need a single 1" line before it branches off to feed everything.

Right after the regulator, there is 1/2" black pipe before it steps up to 1" and then bisects with the other 3/4" line.

So 2 questions:

1. Is that 1/2" section immediately after the regulator causing issues or can it be left if I were to move the gas line so it is not running right down the middle of my basement ceiling? I'm not totally understanding why I need to run 1" line through the basement but there can be smaller diameter pipe upstream.

2. Is there a reason the gas line splits into two separate pipes, or could I just replace it with a single line sized appropriately? I'm in Minneapolis btw.

Attachments

• IMG_3710.jpg
    IMG_3710.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
In most instances, a very small amount of 1/2" does not cause a significant pressure drop.
We see that all the time around meters with a few nipples of 3/4" before going big for long, high demand runs.
We always test the final installation for pressure drop, if in doubt, with a manometer at each appliance.
A single trunk line, sized appropriately, is fine.
Out here, I've never seen such a small regulator. I presume, it is taking 2" and reducing to 7" water column?

Ryan Wendorf

Reaction score
In most instances, a very small amount of 1/2" does not cause a significant pressure drop.
We see that all the time around meters with a few nipples of 3/4" before going big for long, high demand runs.
We always test the final installation for pressure drop, if in doubt, with a manometer at each appliance.
A single trunk line, sized appropriately, is fine.
Out here, I've never seen such a small regulator. I presume, it is taking 2" and reducing to 7" water column?

Correct! Our gas company is working it’s way through the neighborhood moving meters the outside of the houses. It reduces to 7” water column. Thanks for the reply!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks