Gapping Deck Boards

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to lay my new deck boards (5/4x6 radius edge decking) and they are marked as KD 19HT which I interpret to Kiln Dried to 19% and Heat Treated (to remove any potential pests, from my understanding). They are "Thompsonized" as well, so they already have some sort of sealer on them. They have been sitting stacked (without air gaps) outside in the rain for about a week now. Should I gap them or jam them together when I fasten them down? I was thinking of gapping them like 1/16 of an inch.

Also, should I fasten using two 3" inch screws per joist or three screws per joist?

Thanks,
Jason

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't use screws through the boards, I'd use one of the hidden fastening systems - there are many out there. Screwing through the planks leaves a potential water intrusion point, tends to split the board, and detracts from the look.

BigLou

Reaction score
Jason,
I would put them tight together as they are soaking wet. the KD 19 is before treating unless its stamped KDAT (after treadting) I would assume the boards are water logged.

Lou

Lakee911

Reaction score
KDAT is what I'm familior with, and they don't say that. I wish that I had a meter to check the boards though. They actually are not very green though. Is the new treatment method not so green looking?

I don't like the hidden methods because the holding power is not as great and they're expensive and tedius to install.

Thanks,
Jason

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I personally would put in a nail-wide gap between boards.

We put our deck boards tightly together on our deck about 5 years ago and they are still pretty tight. Would like to see better water drainage than what we get.

Lakee911

Reaction score
I got about 40% of the deck boards laid yesterday. Most of the holes are drilled and they're about half screwed down. Man, my arm felt like it was going to fall off!

Most of the boards were still quite wet once I started drilling holes and what not. They should shrink up nicely, I think.

Jason

Lakee911

Reaction score
No gap ... jammed them together. They're not soaking wet, but they're still pretty wet. Hopefully they'll dry and shrink nicely.

Impact would have been helpful...

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks