Frigidaire window AC turns on, but fan doesn't move - get a new one??

Users who are viewing this thread

tracyballard

Reaction score
I've got a Frigidaire 8000 BTU window AC in my bedroom that's about 3 or 4 years old, and it quit working a couple of nights ago. It started by making a horrible noise like a card in bicycle spokes, so I turned it down to low, which helped for a few minutes but the noise got worse so I shut it off after about 10 minutes of making this noise. Now, when I turn it on, the electronics all work, but nothing mechanical moves and no air comes out. Is this AC ruined, or maybe just frozen up from running when the outside temp is too cold? We run this thing oh high cool every night, even when the temp is in the teens. Anyone have any ideas, other than to stop using the AC when it's freezing outside?

One other note - if I need to replace this, should I go with another Frigidaire (which for some reason seems to work better in cold weather, I think I read somewhere because of its compressor design), or try an LG instead? I like the Frigidaire except for all the light that leaks through the vent in the morning, and was thinking maybe the LG would be better in that regard.

Houptee

Reaction score
Pop front cover off , unplug unit, and reach in and spin the squirrel cage fan with your hand feel if there is resistance like something binding up the fan from spinning.

8000 btu units are basically throw away nowadays since they are often on sale for $99.

Most of the brands are all made in China even LG probably in same factory with different front bezel and logo snapped on them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks